Contact Me

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

More than I asked for--asthma attack

I finally became well enough after the flu and a gastrointestinal bug to worry about my hair color. My hair had grown an almost an inch and desperately needed color. Since I had not kept up with dishes, there were some in the sink and others on the side. Plus, it was sooo cold in the kitchen.

My long-time hairdresser has moved and had surgery on her right hand and joints replaced in thumb. Thinking back, I remembered my long ago hairdresser and our recent conversation, the first in 40 years. I knew where her shop was but could not recall the name. When I got there, I still could not remember her name...ugh.

I went in and asked her if someone would wash the hair color off if I put the color on at home and came back. She agreed. I returned in 12 minutes and sat for 13, waiting until time was up to rinse off the color.

As I went to the shampoo bowl with a young woman, I handed her the bottle of conditioner/shampoo and told her, "Use this after you rinse off the color." She agreed and took it from me.

After she rinsed the color off, she put a glop of shampoo on my hair in front. I could not figure out why the little bottle had so much in it and why it was so cold since the tiny bottle of conditioner/shampoo had been in my pocket.

Then, she started using her fingernails on my scalp. I yelped and told her to stop. She continued until I shook my head twice more and yelped and told her to stop!

So, she put another glop of shampoo on my head. I could barely breathe and told her to get that off me. What is it? Get if off now. I cannot breathe! Another employee walked past and asked me if I had asthma. I said yes while the woman kept insisting she would rinse the shampoo off after she finished the second washing. NOW is what I yelled to her as I put my face in the huge towel I had brought.

She finally put my conditioner/shampoo and I allowed her to briefly wash it in and out. I rose up gasping. The shop shampoo had caused severe reactions in head also. My ears felt like they were severely congested with skewers poked into them. That is throat closing symptoms according to doctor. My forehead hurt from congestion that occurred so quickly.

Since Friday, I had had problems breathing and the whole asthma symptoms like wheezing. My chest still hurts and I wheeze still.

I wanted to kill the shampoo girl. I pulled out cash to pay owner for my visit. Owner said, " Never mind. M paid for you." Before I had gone to put on color, I was talking to a friend (M)  that the owner was working on. I have known M for at least 30 years. This bit of friendship was shocking, something I never expected.

As I tried to pay, the owner said it was okay for the woman to use the shop shampoo, just don't worry about the cost. I tried to tell her I could barely breathe because the washer did not use my shampoo, but a different shampoo. I just left because I was so upset at my asthmatic problems brought on by the stupid shampooer.

After I rushed home to my inhaler and other meds to take, I still had things to do. More on this next post. Right now, my chest feels like someone is sitting on me. I started coughing several hours ago.

Your turn
Would you be upset at having shampoo used on you that caused an asthma attack when you said USE THIS to the shampoo girl and she said OKAY?  Have you ever had someone, teacher or friend or shop person, cause a problem for you or your child by not following instructions on how to handle allergies, asthma, or a wound? If you tell someone you have a severe allergy to a food or scent, does that person assure she only used a little bit? What is your tale of a person not following instructions? I know you all have one tale, at least.

9 comments:

  1. I have asthma and COPD. No perfumes of any kind and I bring my unscented shampoo. Everyone is told ahead of time on no uncertain terms what to do. I even make appointments when there is no perming going on. That is the worst. Scream if yu have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tewshooz,
      I thought a simple statement and an agreement from the shampoo girl would be sufficient. I stay for such a short time that you would think I could handle things at a distance. My old beautician knew my problems and was accommodating. I suppose I will have to draw up a list of rules...lol. Yes, I did resort to screaming a bit. The place is so large that my loud screams were probably not heard at the front of the shop. In the past, shop owners have assured me their shampoo would not bother me. Of course, they did if I submitted to their use. This is why I just go in with freshly washed and dried hair and get a haircut and quickly leave, cutting the time exposed to just a few minutes. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I don't have these problems, so no.

    I was going to suggest that you go with freshly shampooed hair, get a cut, leave, like I do. But you already do that, usually.

    My other suggestion is, stop coloring your hair. I hated "ROOTS"! So I stopped. What a relief.

    Is that color you got, worth all the suffering, you are enduring, because of wanting/needing to get it?

    It might be a possibility, to stop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed that you found a salon willing to let you use your own color on yourself and then wash it out for you. I became less amazed when they didn't use the shampoo you brought. That is a shame. I can't find a salon around here that will let me use my own hair color.
    the hair color that I use on myself doesn't make me wheeze or give me a migraine. The scent rinses out quickly and doesn't stink for days and days after the coloring. I let one shop owner talk me into their color, she said it didn't have a scent. It did and it was awful and it stayed in my hair for more than five days, despite multiple washings. I had that closed in, head achy feeling for days on end, and my asthma was worse than normal, too. The scent of their unscented product felt smothering to me. I was willing to pay them the full amount that it would have cost to use their coloring, but use mine instead. I would have even signed a paper saying they wouldn't be responsible for the results of the hair color product that I wanted to provide instead of theirs. I don't know what the deal is with that. It was a privately owned shop, not a chain place.

    This was during a very problematic time with my bad knees and I didn't want to try and stand in the shower for the longer time it takes to rinse out the color and then shampoo and rinse my hair. So instead, I ended up having to shampoo my hair every day for days and days on end, and a color that didn't even turn out to be what I had asked for. Live and learn, I guess.

    The whole situation stinks, in more ways than one, doesn't it.

    Take care. I hope you can get your asthma back in control very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie,
    After I left so upset, she may not again. However, my next trip will be to get my hair trimmed, just the back. I can do bangs and sides like I want. I always wash my hair and let it dry, then go and have it cut with scissors. No styling because the products cause my allergies and asthma problems.

    I am surprised no one will allow you to do as you need to do. Having problems with what a beautician says has no odor is bad enough. I get tired of people telling that whatever has no scent or the scent is mild and does not bother anyone else. Lies!

    I put on the color and sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it in the sink, using my elbows propped on the sink to hold me up so knees and back do not suffer so.

    One day, I went to the hose and used the heated water from the hose to do the final rinse. I was pretty wet, but at least I did not make a mess in the house. I sat in a lawn chair and bent my head between my knees. I was satisfied.

    This may be my last chance at using the shop, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It was so much better than trying to do it myself.

    My asthma is much worse because of an incident with insulation that I now much vacuum up and hope I don't choke. I keep a bottle of cold water by me to drink if I choke. Of course, it won't help my lungs.



    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have the allergies and so on so nothing like that happens to me. I also avoid hair salons most of the time, not wanting to bother with dyes is what inspired me to stop colouring and go grey.
    I'm sorry that happened to you, I see how it is, my sister is coeliac and struggles to get people to understand that no gluten means no gluten, there is no way of having just a little bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      It is like people do not care to care. Someone tried to convince me to eat something to which I am allergic. The person would not give up. Finally, I asked the person if she knew how to use an Epipen. After that, no more argument.

      I had not been in a hair salon in over a year. And, this was not a good re-introduction! Thanks.

      Delete
  6. My allergies are not hazardous only nuisances. It is a scary notion to have more viz. something could trigger respiratory arrest.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.