Contact Me

Monday, January 29, 2018

Take My Blood Pressure! I Am Frightened!

Written Sunday evening

This Sunday evening, I watched The Great Los Angeles Earthquake, part 1 and 2, a whole four or more hours worth. About three hours into it I was so distressed I am quite sure my blood pressure was sky high.  The movie really cinched my resolve to never go to California.

For a long time I have said I had no desire to go to CA because of my trepidation when it comes to earthquakes.

I barely lived through it, but hours later, I have a pounding in my temples. This pounding is not normal for me. I really never have headaches unless it is sinus problems and that headache is in forehead, nose and cheek bones. This pounding in my temples is my blood pressure, which is usually very low. Not now!

While I was being terrified, I cooked/baked. I baked the whole turkey breast roast. I took off the mesh bag and the plastic bag. Inside, the turkey breast was in a little string bag. I baked it in a Turkey bag in the oven. I left in in the oven for the right time, but the bag was burned black on one end and pretty much embedded in the turkey skin. Thankfully, it did not taste scorched at all.

Because I was busy watching TV, I let it sit too long to cool, The meat had to be ripped out of the bag. It's not so pretty anymore. But, it is extra delicious because it was herb flavor or something. It is very moist. There was a bag of gravy that I think I will make tomorrow. You just dump the gravy in a pan with water, and it is gravy.

A bag of butternut squash was bought for another dish that never happened, but tomorrow, Monday, I will fix that. Plus, I have carrots. Okay, two orange foods. Oh, well! I also have potatoes I can cook for exbf to take home or not. I need to make cole slaw for dinner, too.

Mama said I was terrified when they took us to the drive-in movies. She said I started picking my nails off and biting them when I watched cowboy movies. I was so concerned that something bad would happen to the hero. She assured me it would be okay, and that no one would be hurt. I was not believing her at all. And, so began a fifty-year nail-biting habit.

Wasted food: tonight, I managed to start an avalanche in the freezer and a pint of blueberries fell out all over the floor. Of course, I had to walk on a few first. Finally, I started the arduous task of getting them from where they rolled and like pool balls, before I realized I, bouncing, flying around corners,  off things and managed to get behind things like a box, the trash can, and chair leg. There are still blueberries there, thawing and running blue on my yellow and white floor.

Now, my floor has really clean spots where I used a wet cloth to wipe them up...sigh.

Your turn
I watch no Stephen King or movies that will scare me. I live alone. I made my husband leave the lights on in the house after we saw Psycho. Are you that afraid of scary movies? What movies frighten you? Are you more wary of earthquakes or tornadoes? Remember, tornadoes are not so scary because most of the time we are warned. Plus, if you live in the South, you know when conditions are right, not so with earthquakes.

12 comments:

  1. I am not a terribly fearful person so movies do not usually scare me. I suppose I am more afraid of a psychological thriller than a horror movie, but neither affect me more than a "wow". Tornados do not bother me now but as a kid I was very frightened of them. I have never been in a earthquake and I think the earth moving would be frightening but I will not limit seeing or doing things because of the possibility of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is a good attitude, but it is something I cannot move past. And, I am not fearful either. Psychological thrillers are scary. Horror movies, not so much. I can watch monsters all day long. But, earthquakes? They terrify me. Even airplanes falling from the sky are less terrifying. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. What you didn't ask about is getting enclosed in a dark tight space. If you hear I died in a closet with the door closed and the light off, it was murder, cause that terrifies me.

      Delete
    3. Anne,
      I will make note of that. I have a bit of claustrophobia, too. But, it is situational with me. Some guys were scaring me at a haunted. One of them picked me up and put me in a coffin. I was so relieved and quiet. They got worried and opened the coffin, thinking I had passed out.

      Thanks for the tip about your manner of death.

      Delete
  2. I refuse to watch scary movies. Not because I am scared of them, but they make me think of bad things constantly and I don't like where I go with that - like kids dying, husband dying,etc. I don't consider myself claustrophobic, but when I got stuck in an elevator once, that freaked me out a bit. Generally, I am not too scared, but no horror movies, no heights and no getting stuck in elevators. Yes, I will still ride in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      I am with you on movies with people dying. They are sad and make me think of bad things. I will ride elevators as long as they are not glass where I can see as I go up. I had no idea that earthquake movie would be so frightening.

      Delete
  3. I just don't watch scary movies. I get no joy or excitement out of being scared..(though I will say not all Stephen King movies and books are scary ones). I'd say a tornado would scare me more, since they happen with frequency and seem to do more damage, but I don't live in either, so hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I have been in the direct path of two tornadoes lately. A piece of my root was ripped off and the neighbors garage was damaged. I respect tornadoes.

      Delete
  4. Two of my kids live in California so you just have to let the fears go. I just got back from Disney World and my sis won't go there because she thinks it's a prime place for terrorists to strike. Scary movies- I don't particularly enjoy them but I will go if someone wants a companion. Several years ago I used to go every Halloween to the Saw movies- ugh- I just did it because an acquaintance needed someone to accompany her. She finally found someone else and believe me, there was no jealousy LOL. Are you pretty much over your illness? I'm wanting warmer weather again- it was great at Disney- 70s and rain just came one night when we were at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I have to let the fear go when two of my children are school teachers and I have grandchildren in school. So, I understand. I would not be a good companion at a scary movie. If I did not live alone, I might watch more. Plus, my house is large and old, so any movie where there is a big creepy house just terrifies me! Yes, I feel much better. I started sneezing uncontrollably but got better. My same ear hurts, but I am taking a decongestant. I am glad you had fun at Disney. I would like to go there. At least it rained during dinner. I refuse to stay away from any place I want to go because of terrorists.

      Delete
  5. I live in earthquake country, but like Nan says, you just have to let it go. I take comfort in the fact that it will probably be over in less than two minutes. Longer for a big one, but you can't live fearing it every minute of everyday. We prepare and then let it go. I don't like flying or elevators, but I will fly and get into elevators, but I don't like it. I don't waste my time on horror movies, I will watch the news instead. That is bad enough. I pray much. Good health, good times, and good luck to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana,
      I never deliberately watch a show that will frighten me. I am afraid of flying and elevators, but, I, too, fly and ride elevators. I have seen earthquake movies but none ever frightened me like this one. It was the daughter almost dying as mother tried to rescue her, then the mother and daughter falling in the elevator, things that were so personal. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.