Contact Me

Friday, January 5, 2018

walking in my yard

You all know how it is--you can walk in your own yard, especially on a familiar path, without thinking, usually, even at night. I can walk in my yard without thinking because it is familiar ground under my feet. My muscle memory helps me to walk confidently without searching with my feet for the ground.

Okay, just forget about the time I was tripped up by the wisteria. And, forget about the hickory nuts, especially before the husks wear away. So far, I have never fallen because of stepping on one. Usually, I stumble about and wrench my back or calf muscle.

For the last week it has been difficult to walk in my yard. The ground is so frozen that what was soft under my feet is now brittle and frozen in odd shapes. My muscle memory is betrayed.

A squirrel or raccoon can dig a place in the yard, mostly swipe marks for both, just longer and a bit deeper for the raccoon. Now, I slip and my foot turns when I hit these unfamiliar places.  Ordinarily, I would squash the loose dirt partially back in place.

These frozen places make walking so perilous that I now have to watch the ground! In the last five days, I believe the temperature has been above 32 F for maybe two or three hours total for the five days.

I know that people who expect the snow to fall and stay there for the winter often scurry to pick up things that, once covered with snow, will become a major obstacle for those walking. Things might be destroyed on a farm if a vehicle hits the object obscured by the snow.

While I complain about freezing, being so cold, I am lucky I only have to traverse yard with frozen clumps in different places. The yard does not "roll" under my feet even on familiar ground.

Probably, I won't be making daily trips to potatoes growing behind the house. This prolonged freeze has doomed them. Someone told me they will re-emerge in the spring. Is this true?

Does the frozen ground at your place interfere with the familiarity under your feet? Or, is snow obscuring familiar ground?

6 comments:

  1. I find that walking on grassy ground is really tough on my arthritic knees very uncomfortable and rickety while I am walking, and doubly sore the next day. For me walking on snow covered frozen grassy ground is dangerous. I don't do it if there is any way
    not to.

    How sad to have lost all of your stored photos.

    Still with temps in the teens here today, a cloudy sky, and frozen snow flurries from last night. I'm waiting for that good old January thaw...and waiting...and waiting.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, there is no frozen snow on the frozen grass. Walking on grass is better for me than concrete or asphalt. Yes, the next day is worse.

      Read the contract well on free or paid picture sites.

      I think it was above freezing today, but the temps will drop like a rock since it has been clear today. It will be near 70 next weekend, I think.

      Delete
  2. I don't think the potatoes will re-emerge, I think the potato tuber will have frozen and turned to mush.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      I thought so. But, the woman volunteered it and was so sure. Bummer! Well, I will just keep planting until something takes...lol.

      Delete
  3. When you live in AZ one always walks looking down, lest you stop on something that will strike back, or has prickers. Falls are not common given this extra measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      In the South, one better look at the ground each time she stops lest she stand on fire ants!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.