Contact Me

Saturday, January 6, 2018

speaking of falling down

When we had the blizzard in 1993, snow stayed on the ground for over a week. I would walk across the side street to go to my elderly neighbor's house. I would do things for her. We would talk. We could talk on the phone, but a visit was better for both of us. And, we ate cheese sandwiches. And, I never fell down.

A friend lived up the block further, a foster mother in a group situation. One day, she called me heartbroken she had no candles for the birthday of one of the children. She was that kind of friend, she always made me volunteer to help her instead of asking. Anyway...

I "volunteered" to bring my candles to her. Of course, I walked. It was the fourth or fifth day the snow had been on the ground. I know that walking on thawing snow can be treacherous since it thaws a bit and refreezes all the time. Walking where anyone has stepped has snow pressed down and refrozen, too.

I set out walking in the yards of people, near to the road. The road was clearly refrozen in spots. I fell down about three times trying to cross the width of four narrow yards. On the way back, things were different. I fell down about twenty times. In one yard I fell five or six times--splat!

As I struggled to stay on my feet, then struggled to get up, becoming more tired with each fall, I wondered if people were seeing me. You know how a person struggling to walk and falling down even one time makes people inside interested. After all, they are snowbound with no place or way to go, so they have to find entertainment. 

They were probably watching to see if I would fall again. I am sure they called the family to see the woman who has fallen four times already in their yard. They probably used this as a teachable moment for kids who insisted on going out.

Well, that is what I would do! If you had been snowbound for almost a week, wanting to go out, wouldn't you watch this woman who insists on being out and falling? I am quite sure it was a good laugh.

Are you experiencing conditions that make you fall or fear you will fall?

12 comments:

  1. Well, it's Minus 22C at the moment and it's about to start snowing AGAIN and last for the next couple of days and it's been like this since the start of December! And since I walk with the aid of a cane, slipping and falling is a concern.
    However, we have a great city crew who plow both the roads and the sidewalks and there is a law in place that sidewalks must be shovelled within 12 hours of a snowfall or there is a fine. (Disabled or elderly will be aided by the city). The city does a wonderful job so, while I am cautious, I am still able to get out safely most days. I live across the street from a subway station and we have a lot of underground pathways that hook up to shopping malls, hotels, restaurants & entertainment venues so once I'm on the subway I can do a lot without ever having to go outside again on many days.
    We of course are prepared for this sort of weather so it does make a difference. I wear good solid, waterproof boots with no heels and heavy treads - not terribly fashionable but they make walking safe.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie,
      It's about 20 degrees F right now. That is interesting about the law about shoveling sidewalks. When I was young and able, I would not have liked that. Interesting also are the underground pathways. I could handle that. Is it cold in pathways?

      I don't care about the fashionable boots, just wanting to stay dry, warm, and upright.

      Delete
    2. Here's a link about "The Path" - it's very famous - people in Europe have asked me about it when I've been travelling!

      https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/visitor-services/path-torontos-downtown-pedestrian-walkway/

      There are other underground malls throughout the city that don't link up to The Path - most large business towers will at least have Food Courts & Restaurants and a few basic shops (like Drug Stores) located under their towers and many of our subway stops connect underneath to office towers or shopping complexes - it really makes a difference. You will see people on the subway dressed in light coats & wearing shoes when everyone else is bundled up - it means that they live in a Condo that connects to the subway and they work in a complex that they can enter without coming outdoors - there was even a comedy on TV about these folks who even make bets about how long they can go without actually going outdoors!

      Delete
    3. Margie,
      Thanks for the link. I will go check that out. This is all so very interesting. We went to Toronto 40 years ago, but it was summer.

      I am not at all familiar with subways.

      The only Underground I am familiar with is Underground Atlanta, an entirely different setup. Thanks for all the information.

      Delete
  2. When I get homesick I just have to wait for winter to remember scraping the windshields and hoping I didn't fall. My balance is so bad now that I have to watch how I step off curbs, so snow is a no no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lotta joy,
      I can imagine how snow would stop the homesick feelings. I have to step off the curb carefully because my knees want to collapse. I have never lived outside the South, so not much experience with snow. I stayed in NY one month at Christmas and vowed to never go back in winter or live there! I have kept my vow.

      Delete
  3. "They were probably watching to see if I would fall again." Not sure what kind of neighbors you have, but, WELL!!!! If I had been watching from my window and saw you fall, I would have gone out to help you. And, if I found my kids watching and doing nothing, there would be hell to pay. Teachable moment indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That is how it is, sad to say. Help would have been nice, but I expected nothing. I suppose holding me upright would have been the only cure. I am quite sure you raise your children to be helpful. I would tell my children to help people needing help opening the door when we were out. They did it without prompting after a bit. I taught them not to take money for doing nice things. My son found a guy's dog and the man wanted him to take money. He did not and told me about it.

      Delete
  4. Be careful! In the past, my dad and BIL both fell on the ice and broke their arms. Dad was opening the car door and down he fell. I try to be mindful when walking and a few years ago, I fell in the backyard. I hurt my thumb of all things and you know, it still bothers me on occasion. The last thing I want is a broken hip or leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I have fallen so many times in my life and have never broken a bone. Until last year when I broke a bone at base of thumb. And, it still hurts almost a year later! I would just die if I broke a larger bone. No, I don't need that either.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. urspo,
      Plus, being fat does not help. And, my center of gravity changed with me adjusting.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.