Contact Me

Thursday, August 31, 2017

NYC Twenty-Years Ago Today

The day was special since I had just arrived in Brooklyn to visit for two weeks and celebrate my birthday with my daughter and grandson. He was such a cutie and still is.

That night, my daughter and her husband went to bed early while I watched the news. When I heard about the wreck in which Diana was killed, I went to get my daughter. We watched for too many hours and she eventually went back to bed.

We were both devastated. She had two young sons who were now motherless. I was not a fan of her ex, and still am not.

Okay, everything in history is not so memorable to me and I don't remember the time and place. However, this visit was the memory, punctuated by tragedy.

I still don't like Charles! It was a wonderful trip that I saved to be able to afford.

9 comments:

  1. You saw that QE2 wants the crown to go to William and skip Jug Ears didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She cannot do that under present rules/laws. If I could vote for her to do so, I would. The other day J left both back car doors open as she was getting something out. I told her now my car looked like Prince Charles. I should be ashamed of myself for saying that.

      Delete
  2. I dont remember much about her death except i was watching tv and it scrolled across the screen and i thought it must be a mistake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      There was no scrolling here when it happened. There was full coverage for hours.

      Delete
    2. yes, we also had days of coverage but it started with scrolling. It was Sunday lunch or early afternoon

      Delete
    3. kylie,
      It was around midnight here. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

      Delete
  3. Well, of course things are never black and white. Diana was a very complex woman. But I do think she was in love with Charles when they married. And I think he got what he deserved. Apparently he feared someone would take a shot at him as he walked in the procession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      I never heard anything about him fearing he would be shot. Tell me more.

      Delete
  4. One of the shows I watched said Charles was torn about walking in the procession as the hatred of him was amped after Diana's death. He represented the Monarchy but he also divorced her and many people blamed him for her death. They hired extra security to watch the crowd. If Charles had any chance of becoming king I think he sealed his fate by marrying Camilla.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.