Contact Me

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

That's what it said right on the box!!

Several weeks ago, I was stunned to my core when I read what was on the box of Ball canning jars.

New and Improved
SURE TIGHT LIDS
Helps Keep Canned Food Sealed
NOW Up To 18 Months

Are you kidding me? Yes, I was stunned. So, the food I canned over three years ago has a lid designed for a lesser than 18 month life expectancy?

It appears this is a downgrade not a "new and improved" status.

Today, I bought a box of Ball wide-mouth pint jars with lids and used a $3 coupon. The "sharing jars" had a $3 coupon, too. So, the boxes were less than $6 each. I cannot find the receipt. J was amazed at the coupons.

Have you seen the "New and Improved" label on Ball "sure tight lids"?  Does this feel like a downgrade to you? Is anyone using the $3 coupons for Ball or Kerr jars?they come out in the inserts each year about this time.


7 comments:

  1. I look at the 18 month life expectancy of lids the same way I look at the sell by dates on cans of food from the grocery. It is a mere suggestion trying to get people to buy more of the product. I doubt lids will unseal at the 18 month deadline. Properly canned and stored, they will last for years. I have even reused lids without a problem. I haven't seen the coupon but will look for it as I need to buy more lids soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      I definitely agree with you. However, I have never seen this before. I wonder if anyone has complained about unsealed lids for whatever the reason. The affect is for me to be less confident in the product and brand.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Interesting. Funny, how things change. I remember in, oh, 2004 or so, the directions inside the pectin packs still included inversion method, which is how I always made my jam...I didn't pwn a canner! The year I noticed it was absent from the directions, I phoned the number on the insert, and the nice people at there told me that the USDSA told them that inversion, or "open kettle" canning was no longer considered safe. I wonder if the USDA had a hand in this as well?
    I have some jam I made at least two years ago, probably more, still beautifully sealed, under a box of lids I bought even more years ago for $0.50 at the thrift shop.
    It is my understanding that in the U.K., it is common practice for home canners to use old jars and lids from store bought foods.
    Last night, I canned some blackberry syrup, putting it in old Snapple bottles and lids. It sealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Lots of things have gone through my mine, all of which you have addressed.

      I think the Brits are crazy for their risky methods. Of course, this is coming from an American bias definitely influenced by USDA, the news, and tales of horror and death. I will not throw out anything canned with these lids just because it has been sitting for over 18 months. I also have lids from several years ago that do not frighten me. But, the thoughts about the label or two: "How dare you try to scare me." and "Have you made a lesser product with less rubber to seal jars?"

      Delete
  3. They just don't want to get sued if some crazy is leaving their canning on a shelf in the sun for years. In this litigious society none of us can be too careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I wonder if it has already happened? Anyone heard anything?

      Delete
  4. I don't know anything about this topic, but I smell a rat nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.