Contact Me

Thursday, August 24, 2017

UK Products . . . Help Me Out?

Yesterday, J and I came upon a guy and his family unloading lots of food products into a storage unit. We stopped walking and marveled at all the food being unloaded and not at a store. As it turns out, he is a distributor for foods from the UK. J's storage unit is very close to his. My unit is finally empty.

When I asked where we could those products from UK, he told us and then turned around and handed me four products. Then, he turned around and gave four products to J. We left happy as clams.

The chocolate was a hit. The licorice was nothing like I have ever seen and will be saved for company or given away. Right now, the whole package has been stuffed in a pint jar and sealed tight. Yes, it is Exbf's "pee pot" that he never touched...lol.

What we received:

McVities's Penguin
This is an "8-pack of milk chocolate covered biscuit bars filled with chocolate cream." Delicious!

Ribena's Blackcurrant
This tall plastic bottle seems to be at least 20 ounces. I cannot find the British measurement. Maybe if I could see better....  I read on Wikipedia that during WWII  blackcurrants were cultivated for the vitamin C content so children could benefit since oranges were not available in England.

How do you use this? Drink straight? Dilute? It has something about a diluted portion and vitamins in that portion. Is this ever used for flavoring?

I refrigerated the blackcurrant juice and it was still room temperature this morning. I thought the refrigerator had quit working. But, the milk was very cold! Thank goodness. It is the plastic bottle that makes it stay so warmish.

Clues as to how the British use this?

Taveners Liquorice Allsorts
This will go into a candy dish or small fruit jars, 4 oz., size to give away. When I could barely read, I always wanted to stop into liquor stores because I thought it was a licorice store. Mama never knew why I wanted to go in for a long time. Finally, when I begged for licorice from the liquor store, she explained the difference to me. For a while I thought she lied to me. She assured me she was right.

Chocolate bar
Then, there was some sort of chocolate bar, Bear, or something. It had a center with crunchy cookie/biscuit and caramel around that with crunchy rice, I think, and all covered in chocolate.

I cannot get a picture on here, but later, I will.

Your turn
Are you from the UK? Tell me what you know about the blackcurrant, please. Have you consumed any of these products? If so, what is your opinion of them?

14 comments:

  1. We have Ribena here in Australia. You dilute it with water and drink it like fruit juice. I haven't had Ribena in years but probably a 1:5 dilution or whatever tastes good. My mother used to give us Ribena in our bottles, it is horrific to think of in todays standards but that is what happened.
    Some people dilute their Ribena with hot water and drink it hot which is ok.
    Licorice allsorts are a favourite sweet of mine, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Thanks. I don't feel lucky with that licorice. I have only had the red or the black long strips of licorice, and I don't like the red. This looked fancy with different shapes and colors. I wish I could give it to you!

      The Ribena was supposed to be full of vitamin C, but it has more sugar than a child should get in a bottle. We put apple juice in bottles for children, and it is probably worse than the Ribena.

      Delete
    2. If you like black licorice you would probably like the allsorts. In my books, red licorice is not licorice

      Delete
    3. Kylie,
      As an adult, I seem to have lost the taste for licorice. But, you are right, the red is not really licorice. I remember being a little put off by it the first time I tasted it. I tried two of the licorice allsorts and just decided not to eat the rest of the bag. J doesn't like it either. It was interesting to have it. I don't like a lot of our candy, either, just mostly the chocolate stuff and Werther's.

      Delete
  2. What fun to receive new foods to try. I am not an adventurous eater but I guess sweets do not require a lot of courage. Our Big Lots store always has a lot of British foods. Did he say who he sells to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. kylie beat me too it. Ribena is a tooth destroyer - and is still readily available and often used for quite small children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      That's okay. I need all the opinions people have. Destroy teeth to get Vit C? It's a shame. I poured out about two Tbsp and drank it. I can see it needs to be diluted. I will use it but not sure how.

      Delete
  4. It is my understanding 'grape' is not a popular flavor in the UK, they use black currant rather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I grew up in the U.K. Ribena was considered rather a healthy drink much better for us than cokes and sodas! We drank it pretty well diluted and enjoyed it very much. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Yes, I do think it is better for a child or adult than a Coke. I drank some before I realized it needed diluting. It is much better diluted. I have some other foods and sweets I will mention. I would appreciate a comment about those when I post on Wednesday. Thanks

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.