Contact Me

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Cheese Toast "recipe"

I was at least in college before I ever heard of a grilled cheese sandwich. At my house we ate cheese toast. I don't remember this as ever being a fast and easy lunch, just a snack for hungry kids and teens.

Recently, I have returned to this childhood favorite. "What is cheese toast?" you ask. Simple!

At home, we took a pan, probably a pie pan for one cheese toast. In it you put a piece of bread, not toast, with sliced cheese on top. Put it under the broiler or on bake and leave it until the cheese melts. Easy?

Yes, and the calories in one piece of bread and margarine/butter are not consumed.  Plus, my mother did not have to butter and tend French toast for multiple kids. Of course, I could make this myself and did by at least middle school.

I still love grilled cheese. But, this reminds me of my mother. And, it does not require "tending." Plus, the pan is never dirty. I use the Reynolds parchment paper backed with foil, the stuff I bought for $.99/roll last year.  I can pull off a portion and then half it to make a squarish piece of product and lay sandwich on that.  Of course, I use it paper side up next to the food. The pan will be clean and I can discard the paper/foil. Well, I did use the same piece twice one day.

A post about cheap cell service was posted just a bit ago. Look that over and see what you think if you wish.

Your turn
Did you ever or do you eat Cheese Toast? If you eat this, did or do you call it "cheese toast" or by another name?

10 comments:

  1. I loved cheese toast as a kid. We would eat it with tomato soup. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, so you, too, called it cheese toast? If we ate tomato soup, I have forgotten..lol.

      Delete
  2. we had cheese toast all the time, mostly for lunch. We used to put tomato sauce (ketchup) on it, or maybe chutney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      We had ours plain. We may have had it for lunch, but I remember making it just for me as a snack. I may have made it for siblings. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Yep, cheese toast was a staple growing up, but I could not get my kids into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thanks. My children ate it but I don't remember how well they liked it.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard it called cheese toast before. Grew up on grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. Of course buttered on each side :) DH also likes a slice of ham lunch meat added to his. Lately I've been making them with 2 kinds of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ONE,

      Thank you! That was what I wondered about--who called it cheese toast? In the past few years, I have added ham to mine, too.

      Delete
  5. This sounds simple and splendid. I have never had any; I want to try it. You know if I do, and I like it I will forever think of you when I make it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Oh, that will be so nice if you think of me. Put my name in your recipe book...lol.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.