Contact Me

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

More Monday and Boring

As we drove into DQ, exbf pulled to the DQ door to get out. As I got out of the passenger side to go around and park the car, I noticed the front passenger side tire was going flat and mentioned it. I checked the rest of the tires as I walked to the driver side, and they were all very round. Not the one I said was going flat. I figured he would poo-poo my thoughts.

Inside after we were seated, he said that tire was low. When I went out to get the car, the tire was even lower. So, we discussed where to go to have it checked and taken care of. Finally, we drove about ten miles to get to the place where I get things done on my car. The guy said it would take about forty minutes to even get to it. Since I had only had one hour sleep, that made me grumpy. My plan was to go home and sleep an hour before the trip to Huntsville. Scratch that!

When I went into the office, the owner said the guy had cleared out a car and mine would go in the shop immediately. We waited while they had the car. It turned out there was a nail in the tire and it cost $20 to patch the hole.

If either of us could have bent down, we could have aired it up before taking it to the shop. However, all air hoses cost money, and I am against paying for air. Someday, we will all have tanks on our backs like divers or astronauts. We will have to pay for air to breathe.

Okay, maybe there are still stations with free air hoses, but I have lost touch with those since I cannot bend down to take the cap off the stem.

My nap lasted ten minutes and left me feeling surprisingly refreshed. That lasted until I got dressed again. So, we were off.

The doctor office visit was very short with minimum wait time and short test. Plus, I got no bad news because the nurse will call me with test results later. I had a surprise when they attached blood pressure cuff to arms and legs at the same time and aired me up all at once. So, we left for home.

I slept Monday after he dropped me off from 6 pm until 9:30 pm and then from  2 am Tuesday until 2:30 pm in the afternoon on Tuesday. My chest still hurts like I am sleep deprived. I am no longer able to sleep for an hour at night and recover easily! However, the house not being hot helped me to sleep well. Still, I must go to bed at 1 am to get enough sleep under my belt.

J told me she would come over today and help a bit. She did not! Another story for another day.

Your turn
Do you pick up nails often? Does lack of sleep lead to extreme exhaustion? Do you find there is a dearth of places with free air when you need it? Does anyone have a device for airing up a tire in an emergency? What is the name/manufacturer, please. Do you have someone who doubts what you tell him/her about the car?


  1. I have snagged nails on 2 tires lately, both not repairable. I have better things to do with my money than buy tires.

    1. Anne,
      That is rough. I hate it when I have to replace practically new tires.

  2. Linda - we have a 12Volt portable tire inflator that we keep in the trunk of the car. It's come in handy a number of times.

    It's made by Slime (horrible name) and is sold at Walmart for about $30. It plugs into the car's accessory outlet but you have to be able to attach it to the stem of the tire.

    I don't think there is anywhere that offers free air anymore. Pretty soon I think there will be a charge for using the brush and water to clean your own windshield. I put it with the charging a quarter to use a cart at the grocery store, you get it back when you return the cart but it's a big inconvenience. Seems major lack of customer service to me.

    1. Bellen,
      I might be able to use a cane or walker to reach to the stem. I have been in Aldi only three times, I think. I just wait until someone is returning a cart and hold out a quarter. Some stations left the water and brush out at night until people started stealing them.


For the present, I am taking comment moderation off the blog.