Contact Me

Friday, August 25, 2017

Coconut Oil-- Healthy? + Free Dinner

I have never thought coconut oil was good for a person to consume for health benefits. I have heard things.

I do have a container in the cabinet. But, since I read several more articles, I will just use it for my skin.

I found one article to share with you. And, this article. I know you might disagree, but this is how I decided not to use coconut oil for consumption.

Thursday night, I went to the free dinner. We had bbq sandwiches, baked beans, chips, green beans, unsweetened tea, ice cream and cookies. I had a second sandwich. I should have left the bread and eaten just the meat. I also should have left off the ice cream and cookies. Okay, I only ate one of my two cookies and left all the beans and half the chips. The food was great.

Once again, I met interesting people. The woman was a former teacher and now a youth minister, while her husband is a school principal. She was funny and so unpretentious. We laughed the whole time. Her grade school child was with her and her husband soon joined her. I could spend these occasions in conversation and almost not miss the food.

Your turn
Do you believe coconut oil is healthy for you? Do you consume it? Or, do you limit your use to your skin care regimen? Any free dinners coming your way?

9 comments:

  1. I love coconut oil for baking. Now, I wouldn't say it's healthy, another more than I would say butter is healthy. But, it makes great tasting baked goods. What I don't use is canola oil, Crisco, or corn oil, or margarine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finish the Canola, I will buy no more. I have one recipe that calls for Crisco and will not use it for anything else. I might try not to use it. No, I won't use corn oil. I really, really like Country Crock in my oats. I never use it for anything else. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I use it for popping popcorn but that's about it. My main baking ingredient is canola oil and I still use Crisco for the occasional pie crust. I also only use butter- never a substitute- but I don't add butter to vegetables or plop a pat on meat LOL. I am baking some cinnamon rolls right now. I started the process yesterday with a refrigerated starter I make from a Paula Deen recipe and then I add sugar, flour, dash of salt and oil for the dough, make the first rise, make the rolls, and then the second rise overnight and then bake. I'll be delivering them soon to some clients and my grandsons. Bread doesn't really tempt me. I like dips and chips type foods best LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      That recipe you are making sounds wonderful! I do use a smidgen of butter on vegetables, maybe 1/2 tsp for several helpings. I like breads and sweets. Salty does not tempt me too much. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have no opinion on the health benefits of coconut oil but I don't use anything that contains it because I detest the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      I love the smell! However, I never use it.

      Delete
  4. Coconut oil (in my opinion) is the fad-de-jour. Someone recenty pointed out it takes time to grow coconuts; there is far more coconut oil out than there ought to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I am leery of fads. Maybe we have coconut republics. That is not good for people.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.