Contact Me

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Batchelors Beans and Mushy Peas--Small Economy

Once again, I was the recipient of UK foods. I had heard of mushy peas from other blogs and was curious. I asked. The guy handed me a can of mushy peas and another of beans, both packed in Ireland.

It seems "Batchelors" is the brand name of both. No, I did not misspell the name. The peas which appear to be English peas are Marrowfat peas. I wondered if that is the same as English peas. They look identical. Mushy peas seem to be a favorite in UK from what I read on blogs.

Yes, our English peas and the UK mushy peas are the same genus and species. I definitely won't try those.

On blogs from the UK I have heard of mushy peas and have been curious. Since I cannot stand English peas and am allergic, I will only smell these. It has been a mystery as to why people mash their peas in the UK. However, I have become aware of people who mash their beans, like kidney beans, and put the mashed beans between two slices of bread with mayo for a sandwich. For sixty-years I lived without this information, but have known for a few years now. We never did this and I knew no one who did.  And, it sounds gross. But, I eat and love things other feel are gross.

The "Batchelors beans in Ireland's favorite sauce" sound sort of like our baked beans or pork and beans without the meat. From the ingredients list this is my impression. There are lots of tomato products. I will let you know on this one.

It is free and it's food! Both will be opened on days when exbf visits.

Your turn

Have you eaten either of these Irish products? How did you find them here in US? Are you from UK or visited? Have you ever mashed our American beans and put on a sandwich?


10 comments:

  1. In New England, we often have cold (preferably molasses based over pork beans)baked bean sandwiches on dark bread with spicy mustard, a slice of tomato, a slice of onion, sometimes lettuce. Good, healthy, hearty food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CTMOM,
      Okay, I learned something new, and so early in the morning. Maybe I am the only person in the US that had never heard of bean sandwiches. Nor have I eaten bean sandwiches. Thanks a lot for explaining that to me.

      Delete
  2. I am not a fan of mushy peas, have had them served with things in Europe and left them alone but then again it looked a bit like baby poop and was maybe not so great a restaurant (that was in Portugal, the rest of the meal was good). I've not had mushy beans, but it seems to me that refried beans are similar although probably more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick,
      Other than on a taco from Taco Bell, I had never had refried beans until I was over 60, and I made those after one taste of canned refried beans.

      I haven't opened these mushy peas yet, but I can understand the baby poop comparison.

      Black bean dip is a favorite, too. And, hummus.

      Delete
  3. Linda I grew up in Ireland and Batchelors was a well known canned goods manufacturer. Now I live in Yorkshire in the north of England and mushy peas are very popular, eaten with meat pie and fries which we call chips. Some people like mint sauce on their mushy peas. They can be a cheap filling food. I know, they look a bit strange! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Oh, Thanks! I read about then on lots of blogs, so glad to know they are so popular. I am allergic to what we call English peas, so I will not try these. I will feed them to company. I think I have some mint jelly I made, so he can try it. I suppose it eat strange-looking (to others) food.

      Delete
  4. I can't eat and don't like English peas though I can eat stirred fried snow peas. None of this mashed bean stuff sounds very appetizing.

    My mother used to make tomato sandwiches and cucumber sandwishes. Yum Just slice and put on bread with mayonnaise salt and pepper. They can be a little messy, but so good. I made one for my husband this year and he ate it all summer while the tomatoes made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I finally found out why I hate peas and cannot eat them--I am allergic to them. I love tomato sandwiches and could eat them every day. Hold the cucumbers. So, you fed him some good old Southern food. I need to get tomatoes at the market tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. no, this is all news and new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.