Contact Me

Friday, August 18, 2017

Healthy and Cheap and Fast Food Wednesday

In the grocery store deli section are little salads that I never buy. However, the price became more than reasonable and I purchased 2/$1. The next day was the sell-buy date. Both salads looked fresh still and when I ate them had crispy greens.

On Wednesday, I had both salads, one for lunch and one for dinner. Wow, was that an easy meal to prepare! These were not free lunches, just almost free.

One part I did not eat was the cut up boiled egg. Those eggs are probably the fake boiled eggs that are a tube of egg.  Besides, the white felt tough. Oh, I did not eat the soy nuts, either. I avoid soy.

Saturday, I will buy the rest of the salad fixings I need. At the Farmer's Market, I bought really delicious tomatoes from a farmer.

White grapes are $.78/lb. at the store,  so I will get those and take part of them in the car for the Eclipse Trip.

Have you ever bought these pre-made salads with the toppings separate and ready to assemble?  Even full price they are as cheap as a hamburger and much better for a person.

7 comments:

  1. I love the ready made salads for a pinch. I prefer not to eat the dressings (usually lots of sugar), but definitely better than fast food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii,
      Surprisingly, the little pots of salad had so little salad in them. Still, I did not scrape the dressing out. I just poured it on, so I did not get all the dressing.

      Delete
    2. I was trying to say dressing. there was just a dab of dressing and I still did not eat all of it.

      Delete
  2. I remember the tube of boiled "eggs" from my days waitressing during th summer while I was in college. If you stacked them, they were a perfect circle. I don't think, though, they use them anymore. I think they used pre-boiled, freeze dried packed eggs. I still wouldn't eat them, or buy anything with them. I try not to support inhumane farming practices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      I wonder what is in the tube of eggs. I try never to eat eggs that did not come from my house. And, if I buy eggs, I try to buy ones that I feel have the best treated hens.

      Delete
    2. I *think* those tubes were molded from powdered egg substitute mixed with water, with food coloring for the yolk. You piqued my curiosity, but I can't even find pictures of them on the internet. (My kids would say this means they didn't exist.)
      I have a neighbor from whom I buy duck eggs. Duck eggs are great for baking, and her ducks are treated beautifully.

      Delete
    3. Meg B.
      That is funny your children think a thing does not exist if not on the internet. I did see a picture of the tube eggs within the last week. I have heard duck eggs are the best for baking.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.