Contact Me

Monday, February 12, 2018

Kids putting on clothes, flu deaths

First, let me say this weather is wrong, just wrong! It was very warm Sunday, almost 70. On Monday, the temperature fell to 30s. At about 38 F, I felt what felt like sleet on my arm. It stung, very tiny, but it stung. It is just not right. Temperatures will rise to high 60s and into 70s this week.

One more thing before I get to the subject at hand.

My daffodils bloomed last Friday. That was February 9. The tulip buds are swelling, so they will be blooming soon. Spring is glorious. Right?

VAL was writing about her grandson Leon and his getting dressed. Click on her name to read the post. The post reminded me of my oldest daughter, second child. 

My daughter had to dress within my sight. Otherwise, she would never get dressed in the morning before school. I could see the sofa through the kitchen door. 

She is sitting on the sofa with socks in hand, staring into space and not putting on socks. 
Put your socks on, Lisa
repeat three times
her--huh, what?
put the left sock on
now
now
now
Now pull it all the way up
pull
pull it up NOW 

Repeat same scenario for right sock, right pants leg, left pants leg, up to the waist, and right shoe and left shoe. All this time, I am trying to cook breakfast and pack lunches. 

When I would insist she put her sock on, she would stick her toes in, holding the sock with both hands and just sit there. ???  So close.

It was maddening. She was not a morning person and neither am I. 

Son--took socks off and rearranged them a half dozen times, at least, for each foot. I understand how socks don't fit right all the time. (I do the same, even now.) But, at least he was working. I think the son of daughter (my grandson) above has sock problems like my son and I do. I spend lots of time getting my socks to feel right! 

Youngest daughter--just dressed herself to show up the other two, I suspect. I never had one problem with her getting dressed! 

The county school system here let school out at noon on Wednesday and cancelled school Thursday and Friday. It seem that 27% of all students were absent Wednesday. I wondered aloud why the city and private schools did not close. A person in the know said the city schools were not so badly affected. Wonder why?

I don't know how the red text got there!

If my children were in school now, I would have taken them out to homeschool. The children who are dying are being treated for the flu. They are not sitting home and dying.  Their parents are attentive and do the right thing, getting them health care. It seems like there is nothing that can be done for them to keep them from dying, and they die. Of course, when the flu problem was  over, I would put them back in school. 

As for me, I feel wonderful, so much better. The meds are working. I cough so much less, but there is still a heavy feeling in my chest and when I breathe deeply or exert myself. I have overdone it today, Saturday, so Sunday may not be great for me. I am writing this on Saturday night. But, I am posting it on Monday night and feel better than on Saturday.

I don't know what happened to the text size!


Your turn
Do you or anyone you know fuss over socks fitting right? My friend was annoyed at her granddaughter about socks feeling bad and taking forever to put them on. I assured her I had the same problem and so did my son and there was nothing to do but let the child/person work it out. 

Have schools in your area been cancelled because of the flu? 

10 comments:

  1. My son doesn't have a sock problem, just a dressing problem. He cuts labels out of every single item, adjusts and readjusts things, won't wear anything the tiniest bit scratchy even if it doesn't touch his skin. I can't tell you how many things I have bought him that he just would not wear for reasons I never understood. If he was worse he would have a sensory issue but as it is, he's just fussy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Are these things you can return? I suppose fussy is overdone with him. But, I think the son's and my sock issues are normal since it is me...lol. How old is he now? Grown and grown out of it? Children and their likes and dislikes can be frustrating for sure. Thanks for that example.

      Delete
    2. he is 21 now and still the same but old enough to buy his own things!
      I don't think i ever returned much because he didnt tell me how much he hated it until too late! There was a nice woollen jumper he refused to wear as a young teen so I took it and wore it until there were holes in the elbows. Some would have been passed to his brother or a friend.

      Delete
    3. kylie,
      So, on your end--problem solved. Nice sweater save!

      Delete
    4. Oh, goodness, I have a TEENAGER who takes about 10 minutes per foot to put on his shoes on! I try to understand we each have our peculiarities. I, for instance, will only sleep well on white, 100 percent cotton sheets. Supima or percale, and the MUST be white. Somehow, I can tell at night if the sheets aren't white. Sounds crazy, but there it is.

      Delete
    5. Meg,
      It takes me a long time to get socks on and right. I do understand...lol. I, too, need 100% cotton sheets. Of course, at someone's house or a hotel, I am okay with what I get. I think I am becoming more sensitive to colors/dyes. Thanks for the teen who takes so long. He will never outgrow it. I haven't.

      Delete
  2. I will not wear certain fabrics because they don't "feel right" - no other explanation. At 57 years old I make sure I try stuff on at store so I know before I buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,
      I understand because I am the same way! It is maddening. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. My oldest daughter always had a problem with the seam in socks. The only brand that suited her was Oshkosh. She’s 32 now and just doesn’t wear socks. She would live in flip flops if she could.

    The flu was hit my Kindergarten class hard. My husband and I got flu shots and still got the flu. It’s been a month of this crud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      The seams are a problem, but son and I have problems with wrinkles. I don't like socks could wear sandals all year, even in the cold. My son lives near Mexico border and wears tennis shoes, so may not wear socks, EVER.

      I cannot imagine how kindergarten children manage the flu. I hope you and your husband and class all get over this soon. Hopefully, no one will get pneumonia afterwards. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.