Contact Me

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Lunch at a New Place; Dinner Fail

There was one place for lunch on Tuesday at a church. Now, there are three churches that have lunch on Tuesday.

Tuesday, exbf and I went to one of the new ones. Lunch was boneless, skinless chicken breasts/chicken fingers, one or the other, with dry mushroom soup mix sprinkled over them. Green beans and whole kernel corn and a thin slice of buttered bread completed the plate. Neither the beans or the corn was over-salted or over-seasoned. There was a choice of sweetened or unsweetened tea or water. Dessert was cookies, or peanut butter fudge or pound cake in a sandwich bag. Altogether, it was a great lunch.

There weren't many people there because some people took a to-go plate. Well, some got ten to-go plates. I asked if we could each have  a plate to-go and got one apiece. Those ended up being dinner.

For dinner I put about a dozen potatoes in the crockpot, on high, one layer. On top I put yellow squash and zucchini. After two hours it seemed barely warm. What happened? Consequently, dinner was a replay of lunch. He did not mind at all.

He took home half-cooked food--three potatoes, four squash, one zucchini. They seemed very hot, just not done.  What happened? I put a cup of water, two Tbsp. of olive oil and a clove of garlic, diced. Tomatoes and blueberries were price-matched.

Maybe the density of the potatoes needed more time. I don't know. Do you? An hour later, they were done!

Your turn
Do you have a clue as to why the potatoes did not cook in two hours? Why did the zucchini and squash not cook in an hour? I only opened the crockpot once just long enough to throw in the squash and zucchini! Did I have too much in the crockpot?

5 comments:

  1. I,would have not expected the veg to be done in such a short time. Were the spuds whole? Wrapped in foil? Eventually it was all cookec, so there isn't anything wrong with the cooker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CTMOM,
      Since they did cook in one more hour, I supposed the crockpot was okay. They were whole but only 2" or 3" across. Not wrapped in foil. I obviously am still learning to use the crockpot. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. How I have crockpot "baked" potatoes (once mind you): place spud on square of aluminum foil, cut a slit in the top to allow steam out, Pam spray or coat the potatoe with a bit of oil, wrap in foil, cook. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instructions found just now, on line: Prick the potatoes with a fork several times, then rub potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and wrap tightly in foil. Place the potatoes into a slow cooker, cover, and cook on High for 4 1/2 to 5 hours, or on Low for 7 1/2 to 8 hours until tender.Nov 18, 2015
    Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    allrecipes.com/recipe/215314/slow-cooker-baked-potatoes/Allrecipes.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CTMOM,
      Thanks. I would not want potatoes in foil along with other vegetables. My naked potatoes baked as soon as these crockpot potatoes did. I suppose I just assumed that the crockpot would cook the potatoes in two hours. Now, I know.

      I do remember putting potatoes in chicken juice and cooking them sooner. Maybe the more liquid made the difference. Thanks again!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.