Contact Me

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I Tried It; I Liked it!

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened "milk" is the star right now. It will never cure a craving for milk. It is sort of watery like skim milk. I hate skim milk. I won't put this over dry cereal because I don't eat dry cereal as a rule. The only use will be for adding a mashed banana and drinking it. 

My children would come to drink my "banana milk" when they caught me drinking it. You have to sneak and eat sometimes with kids! If they were outside, and I decided to drink milk, they would somehow know and come rushing in and want my milk. They could have milk, but the silly kids wanted mine!

I have no delusions that this new "milk" will satisfy any milk craving or provide milk nutrition. It just won't! I have had Almond milk before, but I am not sure where. Maybe it was when the people hand out samples in the grocery, giving me maybe an ounce. The samples I have had were intolerably sweet. Also, I don't know the brand.

Maybe this will be a vehicle for chocolate.

Still, this is not what I want! I know I said I like it, but that was compared to sweetened milk substitutes. I can only tolerate this, but I was happy to find it. This only has 30 calories per 8 oz serving, much less than other choices.

Also, I have a gluten-free wrap. This should be better than the wheat-free bread. I will let you know when I try it.

Your turn
Have you tried almond milk? Sweetened or unsweetened? In your opinion, is another brand better? Did you kids want a drink of your milk? Your Coke? Your anything? Did you have to sneak to have a treat?
 
.


12 comments:

  1. Almond Milk - better tasting is Silk, haven't tried Great Value, Walmart brand, but I'm sure the price is better. You can bake with almond milk and it does not give an almond taste to anything. Oatmeal made with it is nice and creamy. Almond milk does not have anywhere close to the protein value of real milk. There are also many other choices of non-milk besides soy and almond - hemp, coconut, and of course rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      Tom's wife? Thanks. You sound like you might not be able to use dairy either. Do you know if ghee can be used instead of butter? Thanks for all the info. About a year ago I made rice milk that was not good at all. Maybe the store stuff is, or maybe it will taste better now. Thanks for the information. Maybe I will try something else next.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Tom's wife. Ghee is like clarified butter - still a dairy product :(
      I'm can use anything but for health reasons I follow a whole food plant based little oil added diabetic diet.

      Delete
    3. Brenda,
      Thanks. I see. Someone said that the proteins were gone in the clarifying process, so it was okay for those allergic to milk.

      Delete
  2. I drink soy milk from the dollar tree. It's not bad in coffee or cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya Ann,
      Thankfully, I do not drink coffee or need to eat cerealwith milk.

      Delete
  3. silk cashew milk unsweetened really good use for everything the chocolate silk cashew is good treat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like almond milk and keep it all the time even though I don't have issues with dairy. Make sure you shake the carton well each time you use it. It is pretty tasty over cereal. Can you eat the non gluten cereals ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Maybe if I shake it, it won't seem so think and watery. Thanks. Is gluten free the same as wheat free? I am new to this...so.

      Delete
    2. Linda - decided to look this up. This may or may not help you - frankly, reading it made me a little sad.
      https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/sources-of-gluten/

      Delete
    3. Brenda,
      Thanks. That was depressing. But, he said I don't have a problem with gluten. Tonight, I had chicken I cooked with prepared bbq sauce. My tinnitus has my ears roaring. I am quite sure it was the vinegar in the bbq sauce. Actually, I only had one tiny bite of chicken. However, I made slaw and used vinegar in the slaw. Since white vinegar, most of it, is made from distilled wheat, it makes sense. I NEVER put vinegar in anything but slaw, so I need to use a different vinegar. I read through the article and will go back and read the links.

      I have an appointment in less than three weeks with the allergist, so I am writing out a list of questions. Thanks for your help.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.