Contact Me

Thursday, March 20, 2014

First Day of Spring: part 1



five pots of tulips
 
 
I worried about these last week, or maybe it was the week before. They are really growing tall. Remember, these lived in a plastic bag in a cold house all winter. I hope there are actually tulips. Maybe that is what I planted.  ???
 
 
 
one tulip? two tulips?
 
Which will I have? Only one bulb is in the pot. There is another pot with two sprouting things, also.
 
 
future greenhouse?
 
This was going to be my greenhouse for winter and spring. But, I could never afford the heavy plastic. sigh But, it is working for these right now. There is a board across the arms of the swing and another across the braces. I rarely sit in this swing since I prefer the wooden one on the other side of the yard. 
 
 
 
112 year old board
 
The board is part of my falling apart house. Let me go measure it. When I took pictures early this morning, I forgot my tape. It is 8'2" x 11 3/4" x 3/4". It was about 12', but I had the broken part cut off. Just as it is will be a great place for seedlings. Hopefully, cats will leave them alone, squirrels, too.

 
3 something
 
It looks like only one survived. If I were smart, I would have made notes of what I planted where. I think I recorded it in pictures somewhere. Where did my young agile brain go? Has anyone found it?

broken ear
 
I picked him up by his concrete ear and broke it. What fixes this? NOT concrete.

What is this?
See the Hosta coming up behind?
 
It grows to about two feet, looks like an umbrella. Eventually, it will have a small flower underneath the leaves.
 
Okay, this is all for this post. I went to the doctor again last night and have bronchitis (oh, I told you that) and did not sleep all night because wheezing kept me awake. I am not sure I even know how to use the inhaler. Please don't explain it to me.
 
There is lots more in my yard that I will put in another post. Now, I am going to sleep.
 
Your turn
Can you answer any of my questions?


6 comments:

  1. Love your tulips. One bloom I would think, and an off shoot which might flower next year.
    If you get much wind your way, you might want to rethink the pots on the swing. They would certainly not survive on a swing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      This is the windy part of the yard. hmmm... They certainly cannot survive cats brushing against them either. I do want to put seedlings there in a bit. I will have to figure out what to do to keep them secure. Thanks for that reminder. I don't want to awake to them all dumped on the ground.

      I wondered about that, thinking maybe there would not be two flowers. I was told to take these out in the fall, leave them for a few days, then replant in the same dirt or the same dirt amended. I hope that works for a rebloom next spring. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I think I remember you posting that you potted some onions that were about to go bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      My brain is not working that well. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I can't answer any of your questions, but I can tell you I love gardening in the spring. Hell, I could sit and watch Judy plant all those weeds for hours. It is so relaxing, only having to get up every now and then to get another beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffeypot,
      Yeah, yeah, you are an old sweetie. I bet you do more than you let on. At least, you probably do something equally important or futile, depending on how you view planting weeds. My problem is helpful guys who mow my lovingly planted "weeds." I paid a guy to mow and said, "That is a rose bush I just planted. Do NOT mow that. He agreed and I walked away. I turned after he started the mower and watched him mow the rose bush in the first ten seconds. I said nothing. A month later, he mowed again. Someone else had mowed in between. I told him he mowed down the rose bush and not to do it again. He agreed, turned on the mower and mowed it down again! I never hired him again. The rose bush gave up and so did I.

      Have a beer.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.