Contact Me

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Yardsale Find

The yard sale was one block from my house. Plus, all the items were close to the road in a small front yard. I was going to pass it by, but I saw something I wanted--a pet carrier. I parked and walked all over before going to the yellow plastic carrier. Actually, I walked for a minute...lol. The price was $5.

I asked the woman to pick it up from the ground for me. She did. When I inquired as to what she would take for the carrier, she thought and said--$4. It was just too hot to play games, so I dug out two bills and a handful of change. She put the carrier in the trunk for me.

Walking to look at other items first was so she would not know the true thing that interested me. If I had walked straight from the car to the pet carrier, I am not so sure she would sell it for less than the $5 sticker. Strategy, folks, strategy.

The thing I used for three grown hens would be comfortable for my one hen. This one is smaller and not tall enough for Dominique to stand. However, this is just in case I need to carry her anywhere. Just the week before I had decided to renew my search for a pet carrier.

It is a very bright yellow and I think it is old. The only problem would be brittle hinges or latch.  If I come across one a little taller, I will get it and sell this one. This one would be very good to hold young chicks. However, I would never bring home day-old chicks since the small ventilation holes would be too much air for chicks that came from under a heat lamp even if I hurried home.

When going to yard sales, I never carry big bills. However, this was truly all I had to my name! There were so few people there, shopping, that I did not fear someone would snatch up the yellow carrier.

Your turn
Do you use strategies when going to yard sales? Or, do you jump out of the car and grab what you want immediately?

9 comments:

  1. I don't like garage sales and rarely go to them. There are such wonderful fb sties with stuff for sale now that I like using them much better. However if I am ever driving by one and see a bread machine, it's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I buy bread machines and sell them. I have paid $3 for most of them. I bought one that I am keeping, a new one in sealed box for $4. One woman in Indiana had me mail one to her. She did not want to buy anything new. Next time I find one, I will buy it and if you want it, it's yours for what I paid. I have no trouble selling them.

      Delete
  2. Altho I rarely stop at yard sales anymore if I do I always look around before deciding on anything. Never know what I'll find and it's usually not what I was going for. I'm also finding prices are high and unless it's near the end of the day, people are not willing to 'deal' the way they used to.

    My preferred places to shop are church thrift stores - indoors with AC, clean and very willing to 'deal'. Most also have 1/2 price sales once a month, just have to know the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you about the ac. However, I have not seen church thrift stores willing to "deal." I will have to see about half-price day. I spend less time at any yard/garage sale these days and pass most of them without stopping.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy yard sales, but I try and avoid the ones that look like they are mainly kids stuff, unless somethig jumps out at me. Like Ann, I am also active o my fb groups, but yard sales have different things and often smaller items tht people dont bother with online tht are still good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Sometimes, well, most of the time lately, I look and drive slowly and don't get out or stop. Piles of clothing and children's toys turn me off. However, some people do not list at all on fb. I have found treasures in horrid looking yard sales. It is a crap shoot either way.

      Delete
  4. I am trying to avoid yard sales and do the opposite viz, might have my own to clear out the rubbish.
    You can be first to grab anything !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      If I could physically have a yard sale, I would. Anything?

      Delete
    2. The dog is not for sale. Everything else is.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.