Contact Me

Monday, March 13, 2017

Okra Snack

I really hate okra. However, I dehydrated okra and Roma tomatoes to enter in the fair. I won a blue ribbon. That was two years ago. Still, I was stuck with the pint of okra and tomatoes since no one would take them. People were confused about the fact they were dehydrated or either hated okra. So, two years later, they were still here.

Finally, I took a piece and bit it to see if it was like chewing rocks. It crunched nicely and still tasted and smelled like the detestable seed pod it is. Since these are sliced like you would slice it for frying, the pieces are popcorn sized, just right for snacking.

One day, I asked exbf if he wanted to try it for a snack. I dumped the contents of the pint jar into a freezer bag and sent it home with him. After a month, he tasted it and gave me an opinion.

"It tastes delicious, just like fried okra!"

Now, I have something to do with okra offered to me rather than fry it for him. I am not sure if it gets slimy when chewed or not.

If you have a dehydrator and okra, you can make a snack that has no oil and no salt. I suppose if you don't like the taste, you can always put a seasoning that is not salty on the crunchy nuggets. Maybe without the slime, okra will be a new favorite snack at your house.

As for me, the taste and smell are inextricably tied to slime, so, no, I won't be eating any okra snacks. I spit out the one bite I took to feel the texture.

Maybe I will dehydrate another pint of okra and Roma tomatoes as a snack ready for anyone or ready to take to a gathering. By the way, I dehydrate the okra separate from the tomatoes and mix together. You could dehydrate them at the same time if you have them available at the same time.

Your turn
Do you think dehydrated okra might be a hit at your house? Do you like okra in any form?  Anyone growing okra?

10 comments:

  1. I love okra any way except boiled because, well, slime. I grow it every year and cut it daily because it grows so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up my brother was a picky eater. But he would heat up a can of chicken gumbo soup almost every day. One day I asked him for a taste and got a bite of okra. That was my last experience. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. carol,
    That is why I don't eat gumbo-yuck is right. Exbf does not like boiled okra either, but loves it fried. From now on any okra I get will be snack food.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Love okra, fried, boiled (slime is ok) gumbo, dehydrated, even oven baked and crunchy. Going to grow two plants this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st Man,
      Where did you have it dehydrated? If you pick okra when it is small, there is less slime. If you pick it often, you will have a larger harvest, I hear.

      Delete
  5. I buy dehydrated okra at Sprouts. It is whole, salted and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      thanks.
      Dehydrating it whole might be easier. I will have to look and see if it is online. I put no salt on his, but he said it was fine.

      Delete
  6. I never had okra (having grown up in the midwest). Every southerner I have met states they hate okra but it is needed for proper cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Southerners are divided about their predilection or disgust when it comes to okra. I stand firmly on the avoidance side.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.