Contact Me

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Nothing but food today

Friday, exbf came up. I gave him a can of soup for lunch. That is a first for me. Usually, I give him something I cooked or smeared on bread, like peanut butter...maybe sliced cheese. Some days, I feed him better or we go get fast food. I hate getting fast food, hence the peanut butter sandwich. Since I gave him the choice, he had Progresso soup. It had so much liquid, I drained that off and he still had an overflowing bowl of vegetables in plenty of liquid. All the liquid certainly called for cornbread but I made none.

I have not made homemade spaghetti in years. But, today, I came close. I used two cans of spaghetti and a can of tomato sauce. I added garlic, olive oil, cinnamon, bay leaf, and three seasonings I dehydrated: celery, onion, and bell pepper. Then I added dehydrated zucchini. Today, I had pasta with spaghetti for the first time in a year or more. Since I am out of bread, I figured the pasta was not so bad.

Today, I put a bit of ground pork into the spaghetti. When I don't use pasta, I add lots of zucchini I dehydrated last summer. It adds nothing to the taste, but it gives a mouth feel and it's not like I just eat spaghetti sauce!

As I added all this to the crock pot, I realized I could have just made spaghetti with tomatoes. I only left out about a dozen ingredients from my mother's spaghetti recipe.

Why did I eat so much spaghetti? I ate three more helpings and am so disgusted with myself. Maybe this is why I rarely eat spaghetti even though it is a favorite food.

Two scrambled eggs for breakfast with milk held me all day. Well, when I went into the bank at 11 am, I had three cookies. At any rate, I was not hungry until after 5 pm.

Now, I want vanilla ice cream with hot maple syrup. I read a blog where they ate this and had pictures. Pictures do me in. Even if I cannot have what is in the picture or do not want to bake/cook/mix it, I will find something else in which to indulge!

Tonight, I will put dates in pint jars. You would think this would be easy. It's not! When you dump them in the jar, their stickiness just causes them to cling to the jars and leave lots of air in the bottom of the jar. By using the back of a spatula, I can arrange the dates so I can get a pound of dates in a wide-mouth canning jars, save 3 figs. I really only want to eat one fig, so tonight I will try to snug them in a bit more.  It will be a fun Friday night at my house. I do know how to have fun!

Did you know you can freeze cole slaw? I sent my question to Ask Jackie and they published my question and the answer in the magazine she represents. Yes, you can freeze cole slaw. On Sunday, I will shop and buy many cabbages at $0.69 for each head. Now, that is a great deal. I will freeze cole slaw in half pints, pushing it down. One half pint packed tightly will feed exbf and me. There will not be lots, but a pint is too much.

Your turn
Have you ever frozen cole slaw? Eaten it? Do you make spaghetti from scratch from a favorite recipe? Or, are you like me, settling for a jar of spaghetti?

7 comments:

  1. No, I have never frozen cole slaw but I really like it. Sometimes I make a mayonaise dressing, sometimes a vinegar/oil and sometimes I eat it pretty plain. I just bought 2 cabbages for $.25 a head at Aldi's!!! I'm actually cooking myself a feast right now- it's almost done- chicken breasts, carrots and little potatoes. Good ole' comfort food I will eat off for the next few days. Now I want some cream cheese brownies- someone sent me the recipe and I'd make it if I had some sour cream LOL. I certainly don't need it though. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      I have already checked Aldi's ads. But, I am going to check again. I love chicken breasts, carrots and potatoes. And, you know I love to cook for several meals. Now, I want cream cheese brownies. When I go to a mall, which has not been in about five years, I have to have one cream cheese brownie. Can you send me that recipe? for future use, of course. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. It was from a blog I love Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I am baking them tomorrow- the grands last day of spring break so I can give them some. It makes a 9x13 pan. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll copy it.

      Delete
  2. I hope you find a ton of cabbages. I am down to just one now, so I might have to run out tomorrow or Monday and pick up a few more. St 69 cents a head I just don't see it being a bad idea to have too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I think I might put two in the crockpot to just eat all week. I love cabbage, so this will be good eating for me. Carrots are 2 lbs bags for $0.49. so I will get four bags of carrots, at least. Then, red potatoes are cheap. I could eat many meals of cabbage, carrots, and potatoes with no need for meat or at least very little meat.

      Delete
  3. I did not know you could freeze coleslaw. Do you leave the dressing off? I use a mayonnaise based dressing and I thought this did not freeze well. I make a pig of myself over spaghetti. Also this is a crash food for me so I try not to eat it if I plan to do anything later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      I told her what I put in my slaw and she said it would freeze well. The magazine published the answer, and I have heard nothing about it not working. I will see today or Monday. I will publish the results. I know. I fall into a spaghetti coma and always have, even as a child. The fact I eat way too much and pass out are why I seldom cook it.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.