Contact Me

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

One Sad Day

 
My mental therapy--broken
 
One fine day in May, I went out to sit in the swing and watch the chickens, the bushes, the leaves from last fall. I sat and the bottom right broke. The whole seat fell down. This is how I keep my equilibrium instead of taking anti-depressants. I have no idea how I am going to cope without it. Well, it may not be that serious, but I got an estimate of hundreds of dollars to fix it good as new with new boards, screws and bracing...sigh.
 
This swing is one of my great joys in life. I was so sad when it broke. This makes 7 weeks without it.
 
Your turn
Do you ever have a turn of events that calls for money and the whole thing makes you sad? 

7 comments:

  1. Often. I seem to spend money on boring necessities far too often. Power, and food type necessities. And various types of insurance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC,
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could pay off the power like you pay off the car and just have it all over with? Boring necessities are the pits! That swing could keep me sane, but no, I have to feed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hundreds of dollars? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boards, screws, trusted craftsman who probably jacked up the price for the aggravation. It cost me $200+ about 25 years ago. What do you think it should cost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should think you could buy a swing a lot cheaper than you could have yours repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowbrush,
      Like I said in the reply above, the swing cost me over $200 25 years ago. I had it custom made because swings hurt me. The seat is extra deep, 6 feet 3 inches long, and the back is high and at an angle I chose myself. I can sit for hours in it. Any commercial swing hurts me somewhere. The swing that is readymade and does not hurt me is over $600. I have another swing on the other side of the yard that I might just rest in for a moment until I hurt.

      This swing was made of treated lumber, so the wood will outlive me. The craftsmanship was provided by my friend's father, a jackleg preacher who bragged about cheating people. He took the #1 lumber and traded it for #2 or #3 and was so stupid, he placed the stamped number on the top of the seat!

      Delete
  6. First, welcome back to the world of blogs.

    I've been on a spending kick, as of late. A utility trailer, a tiller. Didn't really need them but, oh so much easier turning the chicken run and a little safer travel to and from the MILs for grass cutting.

    A couple of strategically placed new boards for reinforcement and that old swing could go a couple more rounds. If only I lived closer, I'd be more than happy to lend my craftsmanship.

    Greed has taken over. It is a sad day.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.