Contact Me

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Tuesday: I Voted and Bocephus

After lunch I voted. I was able to get the closest handicapped parking spot next to the door. So, that was a win. I was going to vote before the Tuesday free lunch, but I would have to had to park the furthest from the door, almost in my own yard! 

When I got in the room, there was a holdup because of a guy. He was the only person in front of me. I had to lean on the table for so long that I finally just went behind the table and sat in the worker's chair, telling her I could not stand any longer. She was very pleasant and assured me it was okay.

The front page of the ballot was easy since I was only voting for one party. The back was easy since the referendums were easily understood and things on which I had a strong opinion. I was out in just a few minutes. I suppose I was out and in the car in fifteen minutes. 

Lunch at the pretty church was also on Tuesday. Lunch: soup, sandwich, brownie. The soup was in a huge container, maybe about three cups. It had cheese, bacon, hash browns and was delicious, but I left some in the bottom. The sandwich was a grilled cheese and ham. I ate three bites, brought it home, and had it for my dinner. The brownie I did eat at the lunch. The meal was very substantial. It was not fancy  but very delicious. It is all homemade. I went to a free dinner for a long time that was boxed potatoes, canned green beans, and dreary patty of some sort of meat that was not even warm. 

Two women sang two songs. A woman from Christmas Child boxes spoke less than five minutes. THEN, came the fun. 

The group of five women is called raps and taps or something like that. They were all in overalls, some short, all decorated with red, white, and blue bandanas and patches. All instruments were home made--plunger, washboard played with thimbles, toys with bells, Bundt cake pan and other things.

There was lots of booty shaking, dancing, marching through the audience, wrapping the red feather boa around the necks of guys. And, one woman specialized in the knees movement of the Charleston. Only, she used no hands. Yep, all in church. So funny.

For "Cawliga" one woman was the Wooden Indian and  another the Wooden Indian maid he fell in love with. It was a hilarious skit. Another skit danced to "I want to be a cowboys' sweetheart" had another woman who actually knew how to swing a lasso, going about the audience threatening to lasso men. Another skit was with a woman with a red feather boa wrapping it around the necks of all the guys and cuddling up to their faces. I cannot remember any other songs or skits, but it was all fun. Then, the women started a conga line with everyone in the building.

Kawliga is the name of the wooden Indian at Lake Martin in AL. The song was released by Hank Williams in 1953. Hank Williams sings the song. Hank Jr. (Bocephus) lived in Cullman for a time.

That was Tuesday. I missed a doctor's appointment because I fell asleep and also slept through a meeting that night.

Are you a fan of Hank Sr. and Jr.?

2 comments:

  1. I love "I Saw the Light", "You're Cheatin' Heart" and "Jambayla" by Hank sr. Not a big fan of jr. though. When we go to the beach we often drive through Georgiana during the Hank Williams Festival. One of these days I want to stop and see what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      All good songs. I suppose I transferred my love of Hank Sr. to Jr. I would at least stop once to see what it is all about. I have a funny story about Hank Williams Day here.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.