Contact Me

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Food

I went to a food bank Saturday and got some good things.

fryer
gal milk
eggs
bread
can of strawberries
3 pieces Halloween candy--Twix, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger
mac n cheese
yellow cake mix
baked beans
can green beans
can corn
goldfish
peanut butter

There must be about 10 other things that I did not have to bring in and that I did not even look at.

Then, I went to Farmer's Market and found sandwich bags of shelled pecan halves for $5. Squeal! This is a good price. The bags were stuffed full. In order to have pecans for a long time, I ration them and only eat four halves each day. However, I do want to make a pecan pie. I have Karo syrup and eggs. I just need a pie shell.  NO. I am not making a crust!

When I have had pecans in the shell, Tommy refused to shell pecans, saying he would not shell them for me since he did not like pecans. Grrr! Today, I told him I had pecans and would he like some. He does not know they are shelled. He said he did not like pecans much but he would take two. When he figures out they are shelled, I'll bet he wants more than two.

Funny story--a friend who had gotten a divorce asked me if I knew how to make a pecan pie. He had a huge bag of pecans in the shell. I did know. I bought pie crust and Karo. He reimbursed me. When we were discussing the pie, he told me he had all these pecans, and he and teen son wanted a pecan pie. So, I could shell the pecans. I refused. He begged. I told him what kind of Karo and what kind of crust to buy and they could make it themselves as the recipe was on the bottle. So, they relented and shelled the pecans in order to have me make it. I am not a fool! I laughed through the discussion and negotiations.

At the Dollar General Market, turkey breasts are $0.95/lb., limit one. Later, I will go there.

Right now, I need a nap. I awoke at two am and could not sleep at all and had to leave early this morning.

Okay, it is two hours later, and I cannot sleep because my stomach hurts.

Have you started baking yet? I have everything for pumpkin, mincemeat, and pecan pies, but I may not make any of these before Thanksgiving. What are you baking?


8 comments:

  1. I've not start baking yet. I might make a chocolate chip pie. I'm not sure yet. I am making chocolate cake and deviled eggs to take to y brother in laws house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      In the distant past, I would have started by now. In the near past, my offering was always a chocolate pound cake with lemon curd. I put on eggs to boil yesterday and came in to find I had turned on the wrong eye.

      Delete
  2. I'm roasting a turkey as I type and then will roast another at 11 AM. They're both for the church dinner tomorrow- I will slice them up, wrap in foil and make gravy later. Last year I roasted 5 and said that was too much for one person to do!!!! Thanksgiving I am invited out YAY. I said I'd make anything and host requested a vegetable LOL. Does anyone eat healthy on Thanksgiving?? So I'm thinking roasted brussel sprouts or maybe a starchy corn pudding I'd love myself. Linda, I make my own pie crusts- it takes me about 5 minutes and they are so much flakier than anything you can buy- 2 cups flour, dash salt, 2/3 cup shortening (I usually have Crisco), and 7 Tablespoons ice water. Mix with fork into a ball, divide in half and roll each out separately on a floured counter. If it tears a little, who care? I taught my little sis how to make it and now she makes pies all the time. To put in a pie pan, I usually slide a spatula under and quarter it but some folks roll it on the rolling pin and then off into the plate. I'm sure you have made many crusts but maybe someone reading your blog hasn't. I see a lot of recipes today with butter and vinegar but my method has never failed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I learned how to make pie crusts from my mother and they were good pie crusts. I came home to my mother's house one holiday and she had a stack of bought pie crusts. I was shocked and she was unapologetic. My mother was worked to death and pushed hard by my father. I eat pie for the filling, anyway. So, I had a toddler and was pregnant, so I switched, too. The recipe is okay since I might need it if I decided to make a crust! I like Crisco for some things and would use it for pie crusts. I suppose it has been 50 years since I made a pie crust. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I make pie crusts because they are not sold ready in this country. I roll them between two sheets of parchment paper. I peel one of the papers off and transfer the dough into the pan by using the other sheet. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      I had no idea you did not have premade piecrusts in your country. I see a market ripe. Parchment paper is a good way to get them into the pie pan. When I made pie crusts, I used a cotton cloth, not terry.

      Delete
  4. I am baking a cheesecake of some sort for Thanksgiving. I am also baking an apple pie today, to put our never-ending abundance of apples to good use. I usually make my own crust...flour, salt, water and oil, but DH found a package of ready made organic crust on quick sale for $1.99, and I had a $0.50 off that brand loaded to my loyalty card. So, pre-made it is! My Thanksgiving preparations will start on Tuesday evening. I will put the daughter to work decorating, and bake the cheesecake. (Cheesecake is best after a full day in the refrigerator.) Today I will take our turkey breast out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator. (We bought several when they were on sale for $0.97/lb. I have everything I need already besides a bottle of champagne for the morning, and a nice merlot for dinner. I am hoping to have dinner served by 1 p.m. After the bird goes in the oven, DH drives me to Rite Aid to pick up some things--not sure how this became a tradition, but it did. It's the only "Black Friday" shopping I do. The store is usually empty, which I like!
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      It all sounds good. I could use a nice slice of cheesecake right now. I wish I had an abundance of apples to eat and bake with. Do you ever make a fresh apple cake? I like your Thanksgiving tradition.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.