Contact Me

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Armistice Day and Weather

Well, that is what I called it until it was changed. As a matter of fact, it was called Armistice Day even after that by some people.

My brother, Gary, was born exactly 14 months after I was, so November 11 was always a "remembrance" for all of us, a day to celebrate. Since he died on 12-12-2001, Nov. 11 will forever be tinged with sadness since I lost my brother so young--52.

My mother was also a veteran, a WAC, making it a double meaning for me that day.

Weather reporters said we would have no sun until Friday. Plus, the continual rain is depressing. The temps are 10F degrees below normal for this time of the year. I am not happy about this. It should be in mid 60s here, so at least give me sun.

I don't know if anyone remembers when I washed my two coats with Kleenex or napkins in the pockets. But, I had fine tissue all over the house. I finally got sick of that and stuffed both into a plastic bag and threw the bag into the laundry room. All summer, I told myself that tomorrow I would take them outside to shake them.

As often happens, "tomorrow" never comes. But, finally, I needed these due to the chill. These coats are long, halfway down my thigh and dressy looking. They are one layer and appear to be a nylon waterproof jacket. Not so. Water goes right through them and I am soaked. However, even a light sweater keeps me warm if there is no precipitation. The jackets are windproof!

Saturday, I took the plastic bag to the porch, took the jackets out and shook them over the side. Big Mistake! I now had white pieces all over the porch, steps, ground and me. So, I stepped down to last step and shook more. This is the kind of exercise that has no end. So, I brought both in to put in the washing machine but just laid them down to cut more tissue that had attached itself to the inner facing. What a nightmare.

An insult--one day a year of so ago, a woman I know said to me as we met, "Oh, I see that shiny coats are back in style." I was stunned as she looked me up and down. "I have no idea. This coat is about 20 years old, so I guess I AM just out of style." Then, I walked away. Can you believe her gall?

By the way, I still wear the coats!



4 comments:

  1. You can buy water proofing spray in the camping equipment section of Walmart or similar store. You could spray your coats with that and water proof it. I've water proofed clothing, shoes, etc. with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I have thought about that. But, time passed and the coat got a little dark/dirty around the cuffs. So, I decided I would do a good job cleaning it some summer day, outdoors and with spray stain remover and a toothbrush. That never happened. However, I do need to waterproof some shoes. Maybe someday I will get it like-new clean and waterproof them. In the meanwhile, I suppose I will carp. I could waterproof the shoes in the meantime. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  2. What a cat.
    I have to always bite my tongue not to return bile with bile but rise against it and not stoop. IT doesn't always work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      She acted innocent but I wanted to show her I got the insult. I walked away with a pleasant attitude because I no longer wanted to talk to her. She wanted me to be embarrassed and on the defensive. I disappointed her...lol.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.