Contact Me

Monday, January 18, 2016

Cold, Chickens, Carrots, Knees

The weather will be in the teens tonight. If you live north of Alabama, you probably have no sympathy at all. YES, you are probably smiling, maybe smirking, maybe bored. But, this cold has caused a few problems here.

Today, exbf came and we hooked up the chickens' water heater. This was a frigid job. The water heater stays in place all year, so we only had to string the extension cord in 32 degree F weather, lift the water, string the cord into the unit I made, and tape the opening.  It's a job that makes gloves sort of useless since it involves water, tape, and wet pieces.

I went out later to give carrot scrapings to the chickens. Both were in the overturned garbage can put in the pen for a warm place for them to sit. I am quite sure they are in their Rubbermaid box by now.

My chickens do not like the scrapings from carrots. They do like them cooked, so I suppose I will be cooking for them. I love them, so it's okay. They had a big bowl of cooked oatmeal this morning.

I need your help. Exbf needs two knee replacements in addition to the two hip replacements. When he left here, he could barely get up the one tiny step into the front yard. His knees were cold. As much as my knees hurt, I know his are 100 times worse. I know he needs heat (what he said) for his knees, but what? At home he can use a heating pad. I see salves advertised, but have you ever used any and what is your opinion of the worst or best.

Since I can barely help him, even going with him would not help. I called his neighbor who mows his lawn and asked him if he would go over and carry in the three bags of food I gave him. The neighbor is in bed after having a knee replacement, but he is going to send his wife and college-age daughter to carry things in for him since he uses two canes to walk.

This is the second time I have cooked carrots in with the chicken in a crockpot. The chicken was done well  before the carrots. I microwaved a can of green beans so we would have something besides cole slaw with the chicken. Once again, I sent him home with a jar of carrots, celery, and onion and more chicken. He can microwave the carrots!

I will move my citrus fruit and bananas in with me so they won't get too cold in the kitchen. The apples are on their own. There is not a cloud in the sky, so the temperature is supposed to drop to 17 degrees F from the present 24 degrees F.

Your turn
What would recommend for his knees other than surgery? The cold is a problem.  Will your chickens eat raw carrots?

































16 comments:

  1. Linda this just my opinion but otc heat creams cause me pain. Yes they do give comfort but hard on the skin. Before I got my knees replaced I got the most relief from bean bagsbi could put in the microwave. Or rice bags. You can rig them with an ace bandage to stay in the right spot. You do have to reheat them periodically but they do give relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      Thanks. I just talked to a man who said he hated the cream that got hot because it hurt his skin. I will make him some rice or bean bags. I have one bag of white rice and one bag of pinto beans. I don't like either, so I will make him one of each. He won't get my brown rice or blackeyed peas...lol. Well, if he needed them he could have them for his knees.

      I think if he had had them on his knees while here, he could have walked to his warm car and warm house. What do you know about the patches? Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Linda this just my opinion but otc heat creams cause me pain. Yes they do give comfort but hard on the skin. Before I got my knees replaced I got the most relief from bean bagsbi could put in the microwave. Or rice bags. You can rig them with an ace bandage to stay in the right spot. You do have to reheat them periodically but they do give relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hot baths help
    Alas I have no chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      He cannot get out of a tub but does take showers. Well, you don't have to cater to chickens!

      Delete
  4. If it is time for knee replacements, the advice would be knee replacements. Mom had them done both at the same time and she is so glad she did it. It has been over 5 years since she had the surgery. Most people get one knee replacement done at a time but then they cannot deal with the long and painful recuperation period and postpone the second one as long as they can, which is not a wise thing to do. Being the brave soul that she is, mom decided to have them done together. The first two weeks after her surgery were hell but now she is so glad she had them done. She says the day after the surgery the knee pain was gone. She had some after surgery pain but the knee pain was no more. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby also has knee pain but can deal with it. We researched on line and found that Thermacare Wraps came highly recommended. However, they seem to be a one time usage which makes them very expensive.

    I'd stick with the rice or bean wraps. Make them long and thin to wrap around or in a square to secure with an ace bandage so the heat is where he needs it.

    Hope it helps him, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to read about you caring for your chickens through the cold. Warming teas like ginger and warming essential oils like juniper and ginger applied with a carrier oil may help. I made a rosemary, black pepper, juniper, eucalyptus essential oil rub and it's very warming without burning. Does he like spicy food? The capsaicin in chili powder and turmeric in curry is anti-inflammatory and works wonders for pain.

    There's even capsaicin cream, I'd apply it with latex gloves: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/capzasin-hp-arthritis-pain-relief-creme/ID=prod4567-product?ext=gooMedicines_ampersand_Treatments_PLA_Creams_prod4567_pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6100298&sst=f44afeb8-ef72-4844-a0e8-c883b3d96dfd

    ReplyDelete
  7. say, any updates? knees? chickens? carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, where have you been? I miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm wondering where you are too. I remember you were having access with the internet and you do have health problems and am wondering how both you and exbf are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my second knee replacement coming up in three weeks. I use my rice bags all the time. Also, the capsaicin cream is very good. It numbs the nerve endings so helps with the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, where are you? Are you ok? We're worried...

    ReplyDelete
  12. what??? you don't post no more????

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.