Contact Me

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

You can be fined for growing food in your yard

I cannot believe it. Novella Carpenter is going to be fined for growing food. Okay, maybe it is because she wants to grow chard and sell it. You can hear it from her at her blog, Ghost Town Farm. Read about it here at Root Simple. This could happen to all of us. Someone from Georgia reports in the comments the same problems. How can we be threatened and fined for feeding ourselves and our families?

Novella Carpenter's book, Farm City, is inspiring and humorous. I asked the library here to buy it so I could check it out to read. You won't be able to put this down. 

I hope it was okay to copy this picture from your blog, Root Simple and Novella.

Your turn
Can you imagine being hassled for growing food and/or selling some of it? Is this happening in your area?

1 comment:

  1. Thats really bad news. Can I imagine it? There have been a few cases recently that made the news that were similar. There is a push against small farms and I do think that a backyard falls into this category. This push came with the new food safety bill in my opinion. I'll go read the links now.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.