Contact Me

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Soured Milk? Drink it!


Just in case you don't read A Mom, Money, and More, you should read her latest post. Before you go, let me say, I drink milk that is soured. I put chocolate in it and cannot taste it at all.

You think soured milk is dangerous? What do you think buttermilk and other thick dairy products are? I never gave soured milk to my children nor would I give it to my grandchildren or any child. I know it is safe, but parents might not believe that.

I make buttermilk by leaving milk on the counter for 24 hours. I have never died. Recipe: into a quart jar put 3 cups of milk and one cup of buttermilk, stir, cover with cloth, let sit 24 hours, stir, drink. I do have to warn you that some store-bought buttermilk will not make thick buttermilk.

While I try not to waste food, not being able to bend easily or without pain causes me to waste more than I like, still not much. Usually, the chicken gets the waste, so I get it back in eggs.

Even raw chicken that smells gross is washed and used around here. The bacteria on the surface is the gross, rotten smell you perceive. Run cold water over the chicken while you turn it and rub it, use vinegar and water for a quick soak. I am 100% sure it is okay!

Sonya Ann gives a link to a great article about expiration dates, "best if used by", etc. Go HERE to find her blog and the link to the food waste chart.

Your turn
Do you waste milk that smells sour? Do you drink it with chocolate or cook with it?What are your thoughts on food waste at your house?

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the linky love.
    Milk scared me a bit and I have to sniff it even if it is brand new. I puked once from milk so I have issues with it. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonya Ann,
    Your post was too good not to share. If I ever throw up after eating something, that is forever putrid to me. I once threw up after drinking Tang. The Tang was okay, not rotten, but I never could drink it after that. I was about 14 and thought Tang was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttermilk is not sour milk though- I actually love buttermilk; sour milk, no way! I'm probably overly cautious about food but I never am sick and haven't vomited since I was pregnant with youngest daughter 30 years ago. I would rather be cautious than frugal when it comes to expired food. Sniffing means nothing to me- I don't trust it or my tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Buttermilk we drink today is not buttermilk, the by-product of churning butter. Either way, it is fermented...sour to me. I have never thrown up after drinking soured or fermented milk laced with chocolate. I have only thrown up in reaction to meds to which I am obviously allergic to consuming. I don't throw up after eating immediately after anesthesia. You are correct about botulism--no odor. Still, sour milk is not dangerous to drink.

      Delete
  4. We go through milk too fast for it to become sour..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      That is usually the case around here. But, once in a while it happens.

      Delete
  5. We save sour milk for baking, or making pancakes and waffles. I love buttermilk, but it tastes totally different, IMO, from sour milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theoccasionalnomad,
      True. Clabbered buttermilk is better.

      Delete
  6. Milk never has enough time to sour around here...but I love the info on the sour milk ....Linda you asked me on my post about what I used to form the stones for my pathway? I have a mold for them.. I think you can find them at Lowe's or any other hardware store. It is just a frame that has several different shaped mold areas. Easy to use

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eggs,
    Milk rarely goes sour around here, either. Do you mean the form that has different shapes in one form? You just used the stones separately? How clever. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

For the present, I am taking comment moderation off the blog.