Contact Me

Thursday, October 29, 2015

It Broke?


As I finished an abdominal ultrasound, a woman rushed in, saying she was the manager of the hospital facility. I was lying there with pants pulled down revealing only stomach with blouse pulled up and covering only my breasts.

She apologized, telling me I had to reschedule another test because the machine would not work. Test is a hidascan and I don't know how to spell it. It seemed that the whole room was flooded from rain coming in. Broken machine?

I wondered why they did not tell me earlier. Surely, they found it this morning. But, no. It obviously happened while I was having the ultrasound. As we left to take me back to the lobby, I could see the room in disarray and water all over the place. They told me that water was pouring from the room into the hall. Men were gathered and walking around part of the lobby, looking at the ceiling.

NOW, I must fast again and drive the 50 miles while starving. They suggest coming in at 7 am, but I am not getting up at 5 am to get ready and drive in the early morning traffic and half dark conditions.

At least I was able to get my vacuum cleaner bags! Charlie was supposed to but did not, partly my fault I suppose. I was not going to be able to get them myself because I was not going to wander around starving to try to get on and off the Parkway. Then, they would be closed by the time I finished the tests.

It has always puzzled me as to why buildings are built with flat roofs. One church near me kept repairing their flat roof over the years. Finally, they put in a peaked roof. (Is peaked roof the right term?)

Do the tar people lobby architects? Without doubt, it would cost less over the long run to just put in a peaked roof

Your turn
Have you ever been amazed at the work it takes to maintain a flat roof? Do you watch as constructions continue to construct flat roofs everywhere? Would it not be cheaper to spend the money up front on a peaked roof? Is there anyone out there who can solve this continuing mystery of building things that will always fail?

2 comments:

  1. There are very expensive flat roof designs that have shaped underlay supports, which act as a peak, and allow water to run to scuppers. They're expensive, so many avoid the costs, use the old methods of fabric, tar, and maybe some rock. That, and they hope the rainfall isn't real heavy, the scuppers aren't clogged by leaves, and the roof doesn't collapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      Of course, I didn't know this. You would think a hospital, Walmart and the like would not go the cheap route that I think ultimately costs more. Thanks for the information.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.