Contact Me

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Yummy Recipe

This recipe was well-received and easy to make. Okay, up until I spilled a whole can of black beans in the kitchen it was easy. Actually, I did not spill a can of black beans, I launched them. There are probably a few black beans on the refrigerator.


I had drained and rinsed the beans with expensive bottled water. Then, I placed the colander on the sink, front of the sink to drain. I am not even sure how it happened, but I hit the front of the colander and the beans flew higher than my head and landed around my feet and ten feet away. I was ready to go to bed except for assembling the rest of the casserole, so I turned off the kitchen light and went to bed.


You heard it--to bed. I just did not care because I was so demoralized. When exbf arrived the next morning, I was still in bed. I told him not to go in the kitchen, just look in. He did. "Good Lord! What happened?" He never talks like that, so I know it was a shock to him. Yes, I swept them up, but not before I squashed a few underfoot....sigh.


This recipe came from One Hundred Dollars a Month. I made mine slightly different, but I am sure she is okay with it.


Her recipe:


2 cups cooked rice
1 lb ground beef {I used Zaycon ground beef}
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
1 can {15 oz} black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can {8 oz} tomato sauce
1 cup corn {I used frozen}
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1 cup cheese, shredded {cheddar or Monterey jack work best, but use whatever you have on hand}


My recipe:
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 lb ground beef less  bit I ate
1/2 cup chopped onion or something like that amount
1/4 cup chopped green pepper or something near that amount
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (low sodium) (bought new at store)
1/ 2 can Progresso Meal Starters, fire roasted tomato
1 can corn
1 Tbsp taco seasoning from a pouch
1 pkg grated cheese, 5 cheese Italian (Mavis did not put cheese inside the casserole)
sliced cheddar cheese on top last five minutes


Cook this for 25 minutes, covered at 350 degrees, the five minutes with cheese on top.


This was just spicy enough for me. It can also be used as a dip.


There was just enough of the bell pepper and onion left for another recipe, so it has been dehydrated and store in a 2 oz. Ball jar.


Mavis triples the recipe and freezes it. Go on over to her blog and read the directions for the recipe. Since I tried it and loved it, I will make it and put it in portions in pint freezer bags and quarts for  single serving for me or enough for the two of us when he comes here.


Week before last, I had three one pound rolls of ground beef. I cooked and crumbled two and froze them in pint jars. One went into spaghetti. The other was put in the taco casserole. This ground beef was so lean that I had to add oil to cook it.


After I crumbled the two, I made him a hamburger with crumbled meat. So, that was all that was missing from the two pints I froze. I forgot what I used the third pound for, but we got about six servings or more from each pound.


One egg today.




Your turn
Do you ever acquire such lean meat? Does this taco salad sound delicious to you? Who is going to try it someday?







4 comments:

  1. That sounds so good and thank you for the link to your friend. I love meeting new people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya Ann,
      I have been following her for years. She is so organized and has so many recipes she shares.

      Delete
    2. I have been following her for a good while also. In addition to her recipes she shares great links to super bargains I would never find by myself. ( ex 14.99 delivered to the door suede clogs)
      I had an issue with kamikaze pineapple this morning. I should have known better than to drain suicidal fruit so close to the edge of the counter.

      Delete
    3. Anne, plus, Mavis is very entertaining. Ugh! At least beans are not sweet. Why did we drain things so close to the counter when we are old enough to know better?

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.