Contact Me

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Recipe: Zucchini Tater Tots


Although I have not tried this, it will be good. I love zucchini. Since I have Italian flavored Panko, I will use that instead of Italian seasoning. Dehydrated Vidalia onions can be rehydrated then added. I won't use kosher salt.

I hear people have an excess of zucchini, but it has never happened to me. No one puts five gallon buckets of zucchini on my porch.

Zucchini Tater Tots

  • 1 heaping cup grated zucchini
  • ¼ cup finely chopped shallot or yellow onion
  • ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup whole wheat panko or other unseasoned dried breadcrumbs
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • Olive oil
  • Marinara sauce for serving

  • Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2. Place the grated zucchini in cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and wring all of the excess water out (it will be a lot!).
    3. Place the zucchini in a bowl along with all of the other ingredients except the olive oil. Mix until combined. If the mixture seems too wet, add a little more breadcrumbs.
    4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take a tablespoon of the mixture and form it into an oval shape. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Arrange the tots on a single layer on the baking sheet and spray or brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
    5. Bake until puffed up and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking
    6. Serve with marinara or other dipping sauce.
    Source

    On Friday I will tell you how the list of chores went on Wednesday.

    Your turn
    Does this sound delicious to you? Or, have you vowed to never eat zucchini? Do you grow zucchinis or does someone give them to you?

    10 comments:

    1. Let us know how this recipe turns out!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I will. Maybe I will make patties instead of so many tots.

        Delete
    2. Linda, I make zucchini fritters very similar to this and everybody likes them. I have found minced dried onion at the dollar store. Rehydrated with boiling water, it lasts a week or more in the fridge. I only do about one half a jar at a time.

      ReplyDelete
    3. carol,
      Fritter-like was what I had in mind. Since I don't have children around to impress with small dipping items.


      Purchased dried onion is convenient. I usually just put it in without dehydrating, figuring it would rehydrate in the time it took me to mix and to wait a few minutes to cook. If I ever go into a Dollar Store again, I will look. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I have a recipe for zucchini jam. You use which ever flavor of jello you want the jam to be. Peach is really good.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. tana50.
        I think I need that recipe if you are willing to share it. I've never heard of that. Thanks.

        Delete
    5. I used to grow 'zukes' in the garden as they were easy and were quite colorful. Alas they take over worse than crabgrass. Turn your back for only a day and the grow a foot.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ur-spo,
        Maybe I will try to grow some at this late date. The wisteria grew a foot along the ground in less than 8 hours.

        Delete
    6. I'm thinking YUM!!!! You may have a hard time sending them to me. ;p

      ReplyDelete

    Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.