Contact Me

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Yard is Finally Mowed and Tutoring

What are these?

These are growing across the street from my house. No one knows their name.


I have had promises of yard mowing since July last year. No one ever comes or does a half-a$$ job. One irritable guy said he would come for $100 and clean up the yard, cutting things and weed-eating. He was just too grumpy and irritable on top of being more than I could afford.

There is one weed that looks like a flower. I hate it. Most mowers leave it. Urge to kill overcomes me. Exbf took down all the flowering weeds with a weed eater. So, the place looked less intimidating to guys who mow. I know this guy did not weed eat, something the whole yard needs. He did not pick up one thing, mowed over some plastic and paper that I never saw. He only charged $30 which is a steal. Those of you who have seen my yard will agree this was cheap for the size.

The absolute best part was that he has a bag to catch all the three foot high weeds in the back yard. I saw him mowing a yard nearby and stopped to employ him. His bag was the only reason he is now my mower guy.

When guys say they will rake and don't, any grass or weeds left kills the grass. I know he did not do a bang-up job. But, it is down and for that I am grateful. Exbf can use his weed eater around the edges.

Maybe I can revive the St. Augustine grass! .Oh, it was dark when he left, so there is no picture. And, I haven't seen it yet.

Tutoring update
I started with a 7th grader with F average. Last week, he said his average was above failing. Today, he said he has  C average. I commented we could shoot for B. He nixed that. We will see. Remember, I charge his mother nothing. I just hate to see a child fail.

He leaves books at home and thinks we will not study because I don't have the material. HA! I just make up problems for the Pythagorean theorem. Today, I asked him what problems gave him trouble. So, we spent an hour with mean, median, and mode. I can find his assignments on the school-issued laptop. We worked on gerund, infinitive, and other terms for English Language arts.

Your turn
Is getting the yard mowed a continual hassle for you?  Does it make you happy when the grass is freshly mowed?

14 comments:

  1. I giggled when I read "He leaves books at home and thinks we will not study because I don't have the material. HA!" It is very kind of you to help out this kid who seems to have the brains for good grades. I wish he understood how successful he could be if he tried a little more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      Sigh...that is the reason kids need tutors...well, most of the time, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Any chance you could start charging something, even just a little bit? Maybe not this student, but future tutoring jobs. Sounds like a great side gig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a little hard to tell without a close look at the flowers, but my first impression is that they are pink evening primroses: http://feeltoogood.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dsc02085.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. the thing I love the most by living in the retirement apts. no lawn maintance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I like walking on my own poison-free yard.

      Delete
  5. My grandmother always called her Mexican primrose, they are a species of evening primrose and self-seed like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda,
      Thanks. Self-seeding is my kind of flower.

      Delete
  6. The flowers look like what I have always called primroses, but I am not much of a botanist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Primrose seems to be the answer. Obviously, I am no botanist, either! Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I used to love to mow before a disc in my neck gave up the ghost. Now my husband does it. Always a nice job, too. It's as though the yard says "Thank you" as I pull out of the garage for work the next day. : ) Yes....stick with your $30 man....I don't even know your yard and I think it's a good deal. Does he need to mow each week or could you get by with twice a month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie,
      I think twice a month will do. The huge growth spurt is over, I think. I can call if I need it next week. I like to mow with my reel mower, but I cannot handle that anymore.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.