Contact Me

Monday, July 11, 2011

Moon and stars bric-a-brac shelf

shelvesmirrormoon1
just took bric-a-brac shelf from the car

Saturday, July 2,  I went to yard sales that were on the route I was traveling, about ten miles. I did not search for any sales or follow the signs in the country that might be from last weekend or involve adding ten miles to my trip. I hit the Mother Lode. This yard sale was right on the side of the highway.

The wall shelf unit for bric-a-brac was built from the 1940s to 1960s, I was told. If you know differently, please clue me in. I have searched the Internet for something similar, but obviously I am not googling the right phrase. One antique dealer said he would take it if it were done in the Shabby Chic style--pale yellow or green. When I glue it together, sand, and paint, the price will be high. Now it is $100. It is a little rickety, too rickety to sell or handle easily without tightening it. Gluing is the most I will do. And, that is only so I won't destroy it!

One of the guys standing there at the yard sale said that boys made these in shop in high school. I believe him.

This shelf was nailed directly to the wall. Nails are still in the back. You can see them at the top. The guy swore it was the original mirror. I believe him. My Aunt Willie in Mississippi had one of these. I was so envious, wishing we had one. Well, she was my mother's aunt, the sister of my grandmother. Now that I have thought on this for a bit, I am not sure if hers was empty or had things on the little steps. I have seen them in use both ways.

Your turn
Have you ever seen one of these actually in use? Paint or sell as-is after gluing? Price too high? What would you ask for this online? Exactly what is this called? Ricky, help me think! Or, was that, "Ethel, help me think!"

7 comments:

  1. http://www.goantiques.com/detail,1950s-plywood-moon,546826.html

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/73889987/vintage-plywood-crescent-moon-staircase

    Here are a couple links to similar items. Did you see these? I have to run but will search some more later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I did see the etsy site but not the other. So, it is a little overpriced? Well, I can always come down. Mine has three balconies with railings and five stars and a mirror...lol...so hopefully, it is worth a bit more. We will see. If you find more, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is over priced. Each one of these crafts is unique and handmade. Like you said, yours is more intricate than most that I have seen online.

    From what I have read, it seems that the original patterns may have been designed by A. Neely Hall.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorie, Thanks for the information. I will look up this person. Being armed with information about the original (not provenance) helps to sell. Actually, I do have the provenance of this item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember if my Granny had exactly this or not. Well, I know there was no mirror in between. In my mind's eye I can see something similar, but it might have been one moon and not two. I do remember the little stairs though. I remember it when I was tiny, in the 70's, so I'm sure she got it in the 60's or before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information. They are made with one moon and stars. I wonder where all those shelves are? My aunt had hers in the 50s. In 1956, I would have been ten-years-old, and I remember it when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GV, I think I was younger then ten, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.