Contact Me

Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Rain

There is water flowing and standing in places in my yard that have never had so much rain. There are great red blobs on the weather map, all flowing over my town. I almost drowned going to feed the chickens. Water falling hard splashed above my knees. Water ran over my shoes even when I thought I was on a high place in the still-growing St. Augustine grass.

Amazingly, the hens were dry! They aren't stupid. They ran out of the overturned trash can when they saw me coming. I put the opening of the trash can under the table, so the table is like a porch keeping the rain from running or splashing inside. They stay dry and the wind cannot cool them.

Hens still pecking and scratching in the rain means the rain will end soon. (Well, that is what I hear.) These hens are staying dry and not wandering around the pen. The rain is predicted through Monday with a small pause on Saturday. ugh I checked--rain on Saturday, too. Maybe the hens know something.

It is 62 and 100% humidity. I am wearing no more than I would on a July day. Maybe I will turn on the humidifier in a bit.  My shoes will go in front of the refrigerator to slowly dry.

Merry Wet Christmas!

Your turn
Is it raining at your place? Snow? Shorts weather? Do the kids, big or little, have toys they cannot use outdoors in  the rain?

9 comments:

  1. You paint a very vivid scene! Hope you didn't get toooooo wet. It has rained here too, perfect as it was about 35 degrees and sweltering yesterday. My tomato plants were in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frugal,
      Oh, I did get too wet. I feel sorry for the people whose houses were ripped apart south of here and the rain fell in their homes with no roof.

      Tomato plants do love warm weather. I think we could have had another crop here since the weather has been so warm this fall.

      Delete
  2. HOT! Shorts for sure (and I got stung by a bee while in my shorts yesterday!). 82 for a high today, rain tomorrow and COLD Sunday. Merriest of Christmases!!! All our best for a joyful season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st Man,
      Maybe shorts and bee colonies don't mix well. We are still in mid-70s until Tuesday when it will be down in the 60s. Thanks you for the wishes for me.

      Delete
  3. Hot, rainy with thundershowers and tornado warnings. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      My friend in Hueytown took cover, but it all missed him. Creeks right near me are over their bridges. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. We had snow yesterday. Right now it's 11 degrees outside. No shorts for me,lol. My hens spent most the day in their hen house. I shoveled the snow out of part of the yard and put some straw down. They didn't come out much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,
    Since my first hens had never seen snow, they refused to leave the porch. This was way back when I had my first hens that eventually had to be brought in the house with me at night because of raccoons. I was really tired of traipsing in the snow for a week, hauling chickens to their pen.

    I think 11 degrees is way too cold for me, even in long pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its snowing here. I'm thinking that DJ should be the one to shovel. All in favor?

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.