Contact Me

Monday, April 20, 2015

Doing Favors and a Recipe




Cake Mix Cookies IV






Cake Mix Cookies VIII
made from a cake mix
I have a very nice neighbor around the block. He takes my garbage to the road each week and carries the recycling out when he sees it is full. One milk jug in the recycling bin is not worth hauling the container to the road, so he does not take it out every week. He hauled my 9 hibiscus trees from the basement this summer and has done various little things that are large things to me.

 He is the one who will feed my hens on occasion. He grew up with a chicken house with 10, 000 broilers, so he is accustomed to chickens. He gets my hens' eggs when he does feed them. I also regularly share eggs with him. Now that he has his nephew, his wife, and child living there temporarily, he will use eggs much faster than before.


He has a group of young people, a religious group not associated with any church, that meets at his house. Several times when they have met, I have taken cookies, sheet cake or brownies to his house beforehand. Sometimes, I just take stuff and figure he can give them away, eat them, or freeze them until they come over. I use a brownie mix that I purchase for pennies.

No more.

There are about a dozen cake mixes in my kitchen, gotten free. I don't need to eat them, don't even particularly like some of the flavors, and cannot seem to give them away. Okay, most are some flavor of chocolate...lol...and I would like those to stay here. On the internet there are recipes for making cookies from cake mixes. But, I cannot stand up very long to drop cookies onto a cookie sheet. So, I decided I would see if there were recipes for making brownies from cake mixes. Well, it turns out there are simple and complicated recipes. I am going for a simple recipe.

HERE is a page of links for brownie recipes from cake mixes.  I chose this RECIPE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cake Mix Brownies

One Cake Mix, any flavor
1 egg
1/4 cup water

Mix.

Press batter into a 9x13 pan. Cook at 350 degree for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not over bake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I read another page, it seems this will work for strawberry cake mix, just any flavor. Of course, add-ins like chocolate chips or raisins or nuts work, too.

Some of the recipes have fourteen ingredients and start with a cake mix. ???  Not for me!

Oh, he did make the remark after I gave them a frosted sheet cake and apologized for the horrid looking icing that they were "more cookie and brownie people"...lol. I can handle that. I think he thought the sheet cake was harder than cookies or brownies.

Your turn
Have you ever made brownies from a cake mix? If so, please tell me you did not use the recipe with 14 other ingredients.

12 comments:

  1. I've never tried making brownies from a cake mix. So thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it as soon as cake mixes go on sale again. I like that you can use any flavor. I'll bet that a spice cake mix would make really good bars with caramel frosting. The possibilities are endless. But 14 ingredients? Nope. Not me. I vote for easy. If I want to use 14 ingredients, I'll make it from scratch! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      I laughed when I read 14 extra ingredients. My scratch brownie recipe has fewer ingredients. Easy is for me, too.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you have a helpful neighbour. I'm sure he appreciated your offerings in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wean,
      I never ask him for more than taking out the garbage. Yes, the guys ate everything before the girls got there one time. So, they obviously enjoy my offerings.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Jackiesue,
      Me too. But, I have to stand too long.

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda...I have not tried to make brownies from a cake mix but I will try now. I have made cookies from cake mix for a long time, as I prefer soft cookies. I have used chocolate (this was my introduction to the concept), spice lemon and I think orange. Your recipe is so much simpler. My cookie recipe calls for a stick of butter! I am not a big chocolate eater but my mouth is watering right now. By the way have you used that portable greenhouse? Maybe another blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      Starting with chocolate is my ploy, too. A guy who mowed my yard threw the greenhouse onto my rocks and broke the greenhouse. I was furious! Now, I need to fix it. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  5. So easy, Sonya could do it. I may need to try this! Thank you for posting something that I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya,
      I am glad you found something you can do...lol.

      Delete
  6. You can make a lower fat version using canned pumpkin. We call them Pumpkin Muffins.

    1 cake mix
    1 can pumpkin puree
    2/3 cup of water

    Mix together an spread in sheet pan or put into muffin tin, sprayed with cooking spray. Do not use cupcake liners at these will stick. Baked in over at 350 for 25 - 35 minutes. They are done when toothpick comes out clean. I have baked in different ovens and each one took a different amount of time.

    This turns out a rich, cakey cake or muffins. A friend makes them with no water and they turn out really fudgy. I guess that would be more brownie like.

    We have made with different flavors of cake mix. Chocolate is a fave. You cannot taste the pumpkin at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances,
      Thanks for the recipe and the versions. At this point, I have an abundance of cans of pumpkin and boxes of cake mix. You know what I am going to be doing! Made without water sounds delicious.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.