Contact Me

Friday, April 12, 2013

Comment Moderation Is Depressing Me

When I started comment moderation, comments came to my contact email. So, I went through each email laboriously, eliminating all the spam and publishing the rest. That worked...sometimes.

Sometimes the "published" email went to my comment page in the blog. Sometimes "published" comments went directly to the blog post. It took me a while to realize the comments did not always go to the post but got stuck on the comment part of blogger.

Now, I have had a new problem lately. People just were not commenting at all. Why? I was sad, wondering where people were. Was I that boring or irrelevant to everyone?

Then, today I wandered onto the comment page, not expecting anything, just inspecting every part of my blog. Lotta joy, Pamela, Kristin, and Leigh, to mention a few have been commenting and have been ignored. Only lotta joy complained/commented. However, since her comment was stuck in Comment Hell, I was not aware. Her comment did not come through my email. I don't know why some comments go to the comment page and others go to my email account. It is baffling. Does anyone know a reason this happens?

I am going to take comment moderation off and eliminate anonymous comments this weekend. Can I have lots of comments so I can figuring out what is happening. I have a theory--people who follow me via email have their comments sent to my email. People who follow on my blog might have their comments stuck on the comment page.

Do me a favor or three--1) comment, 2) tell me if you follow me of my follower list, 3) tell me if you follow via email. Please. That way, I can figure out what is going on with comments.

I can assure you that if I take moderation off and you comment on a post that is old, I may never see it unless it is present on my comment moderation page. I will see with this little experiment. Thanks everyone.

If you cannot comment and have it show up immediately, please notify me at pparsimony@yahoo.com. I am struggling with this blog because some features do no work, so bare with me.

Do you have an opinion or knowledge of why my comments show up in two different places for me to moderate?

20 comments:

  1. Hello to you, I will comment...on the fact that I can comment...

    It's all too hard sometimes isn't it? I don't comment enough anywhere, not sure why because I appreciate the ones I get...Anyway, I don't follow by email so must be on the follower list?

    Hope you get it sorted.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,
      Thanks for the reply. You also showed up on the comment page. Sooo, comment more...lol. I like to hear what you say.

      Delete
  2. I follow your blog with Google reader...not email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy,
      You showed up here and on the comment page. Thanks for helping me on this.

      Delete
  3. I am on your followers list and get your posts announced on my dashboard. the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rat,
      Thanks. And, you showed up here and on the comment page. You know, I never even knew I had a comment page for almost three years!

      Delete
  4. Here's a test comment, I "subscribe" to your blog thru mine, you are on my blog reads list. HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CTMOM,
      You came right through! Thanks for the help!
      HTH ???

      Delete
  5. I follow you, and I have your blog listed on my sidebar. On MY posts, some comments come through my email, which was how I wanted it, but lately I'm surprised when I look at my comment section and others got posted without going through my email!

    Google is like the government. Too many rules that they don't follow themselves.

    At least you don't have word verification. THANK YOU for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lotta joy,
      Thanks for confirming that this is happening. I thought maybe that people who have a Blogger blog got their comments put on the comment page and others came through my email. I am not sure, but you may be onto something.

      I hate HATE HATE word verification. I would never do that to anyone. Look in my blog roll at Root Simple's spam stopper. I would pay to get that one. Surely, someone, somewhere would sell that widget.

      That's another thing--I cannot add any blogs to blog roll. Grrrr...it is my computer.

      Delete
  6. I follow you through GFC. I'm commenting now... will it show up? Let's see!

    I've never moderated my comments. I just delete any spammy ones that show up - I also don't have word verification because I HATE word verification. I think I'm part robot because I get it wrong at least twice.

    Hope you get things figured out. Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      I am just about ready to not moderate comments! I will not ever have word verification! I also Hate it.

      Delete
  7. I follow you. I stopped commenting because my comments weren't published and because you don't comment at my blog.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay Janie,
    I just typed a response to you and it did not appear. I think something is eating my computer's brain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I should be checking the comments too ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      I am obviously not the one to help anyone right now. But, comments were stacked up in the "comments" part of the blog. ???

      Delete
  10. Hi, Linda!

    I check your blog directly on the web through my bookmarks, which is why I use a LiveJournal log-in, so I'm not sure this comment is of any help to you.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      Thanks. All comments are helpful. Someone said she could not make a comment just a bit ago. I now know that someone can comment. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  11. Hi Linda,

    I have a bookmark for your blog. I only read a handful of blogs. I am always interested to hear what you have to say. As far as I know all of my comments have shown up. You are very good to comment on each the comments that you receive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet,
    Thanks so much for being a faithful follower. Great! At least I know one person's comments are coming through. I enjoy commenting on comments. Besides, I am just so eternally grateful for people who do comment. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.