Contact Me

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Monday groceries, seeds, and a 'possum that is deader than it was yesterday

Monday, I bought groceries--lettuce, 2 Kraft Cheese Chunk, bananas, strawberries, and milk. I eat a banana each day. I needed the strawberries for my live trap to catch animals. Okay, I just put the cap end with a bit of strawberry as bait plus crumpled foil.

At the place that gives beans and rice with no means test, I also received a can of green beans and a can of corn. I also received about three pounds of sweet potatoes and three pounds of white potatoes. This is all very basic eating, nothing fancy.

There are still carrots that need to be baked, apples, and grapes. So, there was no need for any of those. I actually forgot about the grapes, but they stay good forever. Oh, I bought seeds for butternut squash. Hopefully, I will get one butternut squash since the seeds were $1.44. Butternut squash are expensive to buy. If I can just break even on the seeds!

Ooops, there is broccoli here, too.

The expensive a2milk has risen twenty-cents since last week. I over-indulged last week.

Monday, I went out to cut forsythia to force, and a possum frightened the life almost out of me. I was looking away and trying to find my forsythia bushes. As I turned to the right, I was eight feet from stepping on a possum half out of the ground. She was just lying there with closed eyes. I thought I saw a slit of eye several times.

I took a picture with my flip phone, went inside and got my camera. I took pictures with both and went to WM to buy a $0.28 picture. I did not recognize the animal as an opossum, so others confirmed what it was. Tuesday, I will bait the live trap and set it out there. Hopefully, I will catch her and babies probably still inside her pouch. She looked dead, but I am sure she was "playing possum."

Tuesday update: The possum is in same position, dead, I think, okay, I am sure. No need for a trap. The fur is not so smooth and there are flies on it. The possum is less swollen/fat today. The reason I did not recognize it for a possum was that 1) it was very swollen, not the shape of a possum head and body, 2) I could not see the tail, a dead giveaway. So, there is no need for me to try to get the trap around the house.

There will be other babies around the neighborhood. I saw a female cat that had obviously just been impregnated--she walked funny.. Why don't people fix their animals? Now, I have to get my neighbor to remove the opossum.

Do you fix your animals? Do people in your neighborhood do the same? How could the healthy looking animal have died half out of her hole?


4 comments:

  1. We once found a decapitated possum on our front lawn. (I think a local cat got it) It was surprisingly hard to identify without a head!

    I wish people would get their animals fixed, it's just irresponsible not to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      The prehensile tail would have been a dead giveaway for me. The swollen head told me nothing. Possums are vicious in the US. I doubt a cat could kill one. I think you have different kind of possum where you live, maybe smaller. I know it costs to have animals fixed, but the cost to everyone else is more. I get tired of flea-ridden cats on porch and door mat. They poop in my garden buckets, dig in them, just a pest. They poop in the path where I walk!

      Delete
  2. I am allergic to bananas but my husband used to eat one everyday until he heard they cause inflammation. So I don't buy them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      When I had allergy tests done, I told my doctor I hoped I was not allergic chocolate. He said one woman said 'anything but bananas." Well, I am not allergic to them, but I wonder about the inflammation. I am not allergic to chocolate, either.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.