Contact Me

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Encino Man Saved My Life

Tuesday night, I started clearing out a plastic bin where I put things so they will not land on the floor. Well, it overran and I had a job. I was throwing away ads from Dec. 3, just before I got the flu. I was exhausted after a few hours of this. I found a check in an unopened envelope! Finally, I made a list of things to do on Wednesday, mostly phone calls and two places to go. After three hours, one phone call was made and remade three times, and finally resolved.

As I was going to sleep, I checked the TV for what was coming on. Encino Man had been on for about ten minutes. This MOVIE saved my life once. In 1992, I was working so hard at school. I was tense all the time. I just thought I was overly tired. Encino Man showed me it was just tension. It is so funny. Okay, it is weird but you cannot help laughing at the gaffes in the introduction of a man from the ice age seeing California for the first time and with teens.

I remember how I did not have the money to see a movie. I remember how desperately I needed to study. I remember just giving in and going to this movie. So much tension was released. Studying and driving seemed possible again, not at the same time.

So, last night I watched Encino Man and laughed hard like it was the first time I had seen it. Finally, at 5 am, it was over. I turned over and slept the sleep of the hypnotized.  I had not melatonin and did not need it after staying up almost until dawn.

Today, Wednesday, I awoke to the list. First thing was call Crest. My teeth hurt less after I quit the Whitening toothpaste. However, there is still considerable pain. Plus, pain inside my mouth has increased. It is in my cheeks around my mouth. There are pin prick feelings that are quite painful. They are sending me an $8 debit card, want the tube back, and will call me.

I finished most of the calls and two errands out of the house. I have a list just as long for tomorrow and another for Friday.

I talked to my dentist receptionist. She offered me toothpaste for sensitive teeth. I got that, two tubes, cashed a check at the bank, bought bananas,  and put gas in my car.

When I arrived at home, I gathered up all I could take in into a plastic bag. I got out of the car as I pushed down the lock. Okay, where are my keys? I could not find them anywhere. So, I cannot get in the house, either. The guy next door got the house open for me. That is twice in the last week.

He let me use his cell when I asked, but told me he pays for minutes, so I promised one minute. I was on the phone for 48 seconds. I called exbf and told him I had locked myself out of car, was on a phone with limited minutes, and tell me what I should do--pay $65 for locksmith, or him come unlock my car tonight, or come tomorrow. He said he would come and tried to talk about it. I said I could not talk and WHEN was he leaving. I stayed inside and then stood outside for 30 min in cold.

I ran back in to throw a sweatshirt over my blouse and put my coat back on. In that time, he managed to come. I flashed the flashlight at him and he kept struggling to get out. GRRR. Finally, I called out but he was on both canes and trying to come to the house. He heard me and got back in. I took the keys and opened my car door and put key in pocket. It was in the ignition.
 in the car and locked anyway. This is what the recall is for because the key can fall out while driving.

While I had waited inside, I got him some lunchmeat, about a 1.5" stack of lunchmeat I forgot to give him this week, two Cuties, and a package of four cookies. As he handed me his keys, I handed him the bag. He was in the driveway for three minutes when he left. So, he spent three hours driving to save me $65.

At least he does not have to go to work tomorrow morning. Today, he got a taste of the bureaucracy that is his> He spent 30 minutes holding for the Social Security Office. Tomorrow, he intends to call at 7 am. He is learning quickly.  Poor guy is exhausted from that one phone call and then I need him.

Your turn
Do you have a particular memory of a movie or activity that literally changed the amount of stress you were under? Have you been ill and were shocked to see how papers and junk stacked up? There were receipts from all sorts of places, pictures of my grandchildren, change, makeup, paper clips, just about three dozen categories of stuff.

3 comments:

  1. The movie I remember watching (at home) about the time I was working full time and college at night that just made me laugh and laugh was "Innerspace" with Martin Short. I still get a laugh whenever I watch it. Maybe you need to find someone who lives closer to hold your extra set of car keys? or have another set in your house? That was nice of him to come all that way to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One,
    I never saw that, but if it had Martin Short, it would be funny. I offered to let him come today, but he had to call ss this morning. He still had to wait on the phone for one hour before they took his call. That was nice of him. I appreciate him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a particular memory of a movie or activity that literally changed the amount of stress you were under? That would be my first midnight viewing of Harold and Maude in college. I knew then I would always strive to be not of the norm.

    Have you been ill and were shocked to see how papers and junk stacked up? I am shocked to see this happen even without being ill.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.