Contact Me

Sunday, January 21, 2018

My Crockpot Is Dangerous! Beware!

A change in design from my first three Crockpots has rendered my present one dangerous to use.
The lid has a clip on each end that holds the lid on when it is carried about. Well, I am not carrying the whole unit, just trying to clip the lid on. However, I have brushed a finger or three against the side of the heating unit. The last time I burned my finger so badly, I was in lots of pain. The frozen chunk of cheese and the ham were not sufficient to take away any pain.

Besides, standing with a hand inside the freezer, touching all the food with my ring finger was making my back hurt, too. Since I was in no mood for an avalanche, I did not take anything out. The ointment with silver in it was not to be found. I just used a topical antibiotic which did nothing for pain.

It was bedtime, and bed was where I was headed. I lay there in pain, near tears, and all of a sudden there was no pain. Weird. However, it really hurts every time it touches anything today.

The hen cooked about twelve hours, not necessary, just happened. Plus, I put potatoes in to cook. I dipped out potatoes to eat and snagged meat with a fork. There was no need to take the crock out until the end.

Finally, it was time to remove the crock so I could get the food out and into a colander. There is no way to removed the crock without burning myself or sticking pot holders into the broth.

You know how there is a little bit of a stubby extension on many casseroles to use as a handle? Well, the ends of the crock are as close to the hot unit as the front and back of the crock. Eventually, I will drop this full of boiling food. So, I am not having this!

I do not want to have to let the whole thing cool until I can handle it. Food would end up spoiling or just soaking in the grease.

Finally, I figured out how to keep from burning myself as I latched and unlatched the lid. No, I do not want to let it just sit there because the lid does not sit straight unless latched.

I am sooo disappointed. These were not problems with the first three crockpots I had. It worked with handles. Who could have been in charge of deciding to leaves off handles?

Tonight, broth is in the making, so it is sitting in there waiting to burn me Sunday.

Does your crock pot have the stubby little handles? Or, does your crock fit uniformly with no place to lift it from the hot unit?

12 comments:

  1. Handles on both. One is pretty old- maybe 15 years and the other a large one I've had for 5 or 6 years. I do like mine and use the larger one pretty much weekly. Don't burn yourself- I've had a pot holder or two in broth/on skin with other pans when getting a large chicken/turkey out of the roaster or pouring broth into a bowl. I just make sure my pot holders are clean. This week I am planning on doing no cooking and eating frozen foods I have previously cooked. I want to clean my freezers (just connected to 2 refrigerators)out and start from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      I cannot guarantee all potholders are clean enough to put in my food...lol. I do wash them often. I wish I had a freezer full of cooked food. I did thaw out a mystery meat last week and discover cooked meat and was sooo happy. At least this chicken will last a few days.

      Delete
  2. I had crockpots with handles easily accessible. I couldn't use them otherwise.

    I'd return the crockpot and buy another. I'd also contact the manufacturer to explain my displeasure.

    The designer was obviously someone who doesn't cook or has asbestos hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      I am. Don't you wonder who designs things after you try to use them?

      Delete
  3. The nurse at a school where I worked kept Aloe Vera Gel in the fridge for the cafeteria workers in case of burns. I now do this, the generic stuff you can get at walmart, cvs, etc works fine. The trick is to get it on immediately, then reapply a few times through out the day. It's amazing how well it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ming,
      I have seen that stuff. I am going to get some when I can afford it. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Linda - buy a small aloe plant, put it on your kitchen windowsill. When you need it, just cut off a 1 inch tip, split it open and apply to the burn. It's gooey but dries. Reapply as needed using the same piece until no more goo is available. Works very quickly and the plant it attractive and hard to kill.

      Delete
    3. Bellen,
      Believe it or not, I have an aloe vera plant! I just never think of it. Plus, any green plant give me hives. I need to apply it to my skin early one morning when I have all day to deal with any adverse effects.

      Delete
  4. I've moved on to the joys of an instapot. God I love it. All the annoying hashtags, pinterest and blogs got me and all of them are true. Food in minutes and its a beautiful thing for this fatigue, lazy thirty something year old career girl. I embrace all stereotypes of my generation. I love the stupid thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GF,
    I saw your comment over an hour ago, and somehow could not comment! Believe me, I am 71 and all we women were fatigued in our 30s. We did not have the appliances and expectations that young women today have. I wonder how much better this instapot is than a pressure cooker. I have a small, stainless steel one that cooked all my vegetables, beans, meat, and rice at once. I see many people are getting the instapot. Maybe it is what I need...lol. I am glad it helps you. Don't worry about what people think! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please run when your nefarious crockpot starts talking to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      As long as it does not argue with me like the customer service representative just did, I will run. If it argues with me, I will turn around and just bop it!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.