Contact Me

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Horrendous Saturday

Okay, if you are eating, stop reading.

I threw up all day Saturday, and the force of throwing up got the other end flowing. I have at least three loads of clothes to do, all disgusting. I could barely walk but wanted to go to the doctor. I slept fitfully all day and night. '

Sunday morning, I had the alarm set for 7:30 since the doctor would be there at 8 am. I got there at 8:25 and 10 people were ahead of me! I told them I was going to sit in the car and they said they would call me. Yes, multiple people assured me.

Thankfully, the door to the office is curbside. So, I went back in when they called me and staggered about. It must have been bad because everyone cautioned me. As I left, I smacked right into a wall!

When I got to the room and climbed onto the bed, I covered myself with my coat, eyes, too. It's been years since I wanted to lie down in the exam room. When I showed the doctor the two inches gone from a water bottle and that was all I had to drink for 24 hours, he wanted me to go to ER to be hydrated. I promised him I would drink.

I have the flu, type B. Great! And, I took the flu vaccine. He said the vaccine did not get this one because it was not predicted to be so bad. Great! That was the only flu shot that every gave me a problem.

Every joint in my body aches and my bones. I could not lay my hand down as I lay on my side unless I cushioned my hand with a towel or pillow case all wadded up. I found two pillow cases in my bed from when I had intentions of changing them. I tell you, I have been ill, very ill. The doctor said I had the flu for 3 or 4 days. And, I will be contagious for 24 hours.

Exbf said he heard that 60% of the people who had the flu had gotten the vaccine. Great! Pharmacist said, yes, it was not working for many people.

I was given a shot for nausea and a prescription for nausea med and Tamiflu. I have been drinking ginger ale, Gatorade, and water. I have eaten lots of Hershey's kisses and several Halos. I am going to have a ham and cheese sandwich in a bit.

So, I was contagious when exbf was here and when I sat near elderly people and was in a crush with them trying to get into the Civic Center from the lobby.

Okay, I had three things to tell. I will tell you about the guy I threated to slug. As I was sitting waiting to go in, this old guy came up, all smiles and conversation. I did not know if he was flirting or suffering from dementia. He kept punctuating all his hilarious conversation by holding his fingers and hand straight and poking my upper arm near my shoulder. After the second time, I told him not to poke me again because he was hurting me. Just to prove he could, he poked me two more times. I got huffy, put my hand up so he could not poke me. He left, I suppose because I spoiled his fun.

As we were body to body in the lobby, trying to get into the main part, he was beside me again and started the same shit with me. I kept telling him to stop. Finally, I raised my voice and told him if he hurt me one more time, I was going to slug him right in the face. I was near tears from the pain he inflicted on top of the pain of my back as I leaned over the walker.

He had the gall to lean over me and hug me hurting my other arm by squeezing it hard. I shook him off and yelled at him. He finally shuffled off into the crowd. Jerk!!!

I thought about what I said, and I decided a good raking with my fingernails would hurt me less and him more. I have deadly fingernails, hard enough and long enough to cause damage. I have even hurt myself with my nails.

Okay, I am tired and hungry, my fingers and hand hurt from typing. Plus, the best part of The Sound of Music is coming up.

Have you had the flu vaccine? Have you had the flu?


8 comments:

  1. Sorry about the flu. TheHub gets the CDC outbreak map daily and it shows the flu here, but not widespread__yet. Since it is widespread in Mississippi and holiday travel is here I imagine it will be intense in Alabama within the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I would hate to have this when traveling or have it if I had company. I wonder if that map is online, not that it matters much to me right now. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  2. So sorry! My cousin just told me my aunt and uncle who live in Indiana both have the flu and uncle had to be hospitalized- they're both 85. Apparently they got the strain the shot didn't immunize against also. My nephew in Myrtle Beach has been ill and Sis took him to doctor- swab said he didn't have the flu but she says it's all over MB. I haven't heard of it here but it will be starting soon like Anne posted. I guess the caveat to me is to get my visits done early in the month. I have to have 2 contacts with my clients every month or we can't bill. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Do what you have to in order to avoid the flu. This is nasty. I just hope I do not catch it again. Make your visits early.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you have the flu, I know it's nasty. We don't get the flu shot as we rarely go out, really. It's snowbird season and while we love what they do for our economy, they bring their own germs and illnesses so we avoid the crowds.
    I had the flu in 1971 or 1972, caught it as I was working in a hospital and visited patients daily - no flu shots back then. I thought I'd be better off dead I was so miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      "DEAD" is a word I have thought of this morning. I seem to be worse but not throwing up. My body is trying to throw up, but it was time for the Zofran, so maybe I won't. If staying home is the answer, I may hibernate. There is no telling how many people I infected by going to grocery store and pharmacy. There should be a service to get and deliver meds and groceries for people with flu who must get their own supplies. It might save lots of people the agony of flu.

      Delete
  4. I always get the flu vaccine; I encourage all to do so - especially if you are over 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I started taking them when I was 60, maybe earlier. Even after this failure of the system, I will get a vaccine next year and encourage people to get one, too.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.