Contact Me

Friday, November 24, 2017

Great Thanksgiving, Thanks to Aubrey

Thanksgiving Day was a glorious day as the temps with mid 60s with blue skies, almost cloudless. The weather didn't call for a coat, boots, or umbrella. In November that is an usual condition for Alabama.

Thursday morning, I went by the church to figure out where the handicapped parking was located and to find other possible spots where exbf could park to get in the easiest in case there was no wheelchair available. When he followed my directions, my heart sunk as we went beside all the close places with cars parked there, and turned the corner. I saw all the handicapped places were taken. But one. So, we parked at the place closest to the door. 

When I had my makeup on, I asked the closest child on the sidewalk if she could please find someone to bring a wheelchair out for us. This child was posted outside to help people. I did not ask a child walking by.  Soon, a man with a wheelchair brought it to my side. I sent him to exbf's side of the car.

We were soon seated and children came to get our drink for us. Somehow, two different people brought us each a glass of tea. Well, then I did not have to ask for a refill. The tea was delicious. I hate bad tea spoiling a meal.

They offered to get both our plates and bring them to us. However, I wanted to go so my food would not touch. I am just kidding. I prefer white meat and he does not want gravy. Plus, if there is something I just won't eat, why get it?

A young guy was sent to carry plates for us. I got green beans, sweet potatoes, turkey and dressing with gravy over it.  I got his without gravy. Then, I went out the door of the serving line. After a while, I noticed other people around us had rolls and cranberry sauces. I had exited the wrong door and missed stuff. Two women heard me and brought us the rest of our food. I should have exited the third door in the serving line area.

Children and adults came by very often to see if we needed anything. I think at this point the servers/helpers outnumbered the guests.

The cutest little boy and a little girl came between us and asked me something. Because of the noise or something, I could not understand all the little boy said. I thought he said bread and turnip greens. I thought he was going to give me something on my plate. Finally, I realized he was going to give me something not for my plate.

The little girl came around me and plopped a loaf of bread on the table. The little boy moved in between us and plopped two turnips on the table. One was huge, larger than any turnip I have ever seen. The other was very small.  As he clunked them on the table, dirt flew everywhere. I thanked him and her profusely.

Then, I started laughing profusely at the innocence of a little boy who just did not see yard dirt. I was laughing so hard and exbf was chuckling. Some of the women wandering around to help saw the dirt and apologized. I assured them many times that the dirt of the table made my day. One woman was laughing and said, "A little boy does not see dirt on the table." ...or the table. Folks, it was a lot of dirt, clods falling off, not just dust! But, it was all fine with me.

Somehow, that incident made me so happy. He came back again and offered turnips. I did not have the heart to turn him down. THEN, he came back with a mess of greens in a plastic bag. I took those, too. I would have given back the turnips to an adult to return to the pile, but exbf said he would eat them. And, I have no idea how to cook them. ???

The same little girl came and offered us more bread. I did tell her I had bread. Oh, I just now thought of why they kept giving us stuff. I had folded up a bag and put in my purse because I have been places where things are given, and I have to carry his, too, and rustle up an old WM bag, asking someone in the kitchen. So, we had visible nothing and they kept bringing it. I had wondered why.

At any rate, we rewarded them with warm and numerous 'thank yous' each time they came up. We quit eating to turn to them. Maybe they just like the reception from us.

He thanked Aubrey by name because she had a name tag on. About the tenth time she passed our table, she was carrying a small turnip. I asked her if I could take her picture. We gave her another turnip and the child smiled for ear to ear. She was so precious. I think the two youngest children were at our table a lot. The older child, about ten, who got the guy with a wheel chair for him, came by with friends her age to see if we needed tea several times.

As he was being wheeled out and since he had the key, I did not try to keep up and was thanking women at the door. The little boy who was so cute came and stood very close to me with his little head up, looking right at me. I told the woman with whom I was speaking how well he had done and how sweet he was. She smiled at him and said he did do well.

The little boy sort of looked like my son at the age, dark hair and big eyes. I think maybe the child was four.

I was smiling for hours after that.

We came to my house and I gave him half a pan of dressing with egg, turkey and two cans of soup in it. He got a can of cranberry sauce, candy, 2 chocolate chip cookies, all sorts of stuff. Then, other meals were frozen in individual packets: taco casserole, meat loaf. There was other food I cannot remember. Oh, six baked sweet potatoes and two huge Russets.

It was a good Thanksgiving.

Your turn
How do you cook turnips? I do not want an internet link, just the way you cook them. Is there any way to take the turnip taste away? I want it to taste more like cake or cookies. How was your Thanksgiving?

12 comments:

  1. The only way I've ever cooked turnips is like potatoes - peel, cut in chunks and boil till tender, serve with butter, salt & pepper. They can be mashed if not too old and woody. I also have put them in stews and soups.

    My late MIL used to mix them half and half with potatoes and mash them.

    Now to make them taste more like cake or cookies you must add lots of butter and sugar, mashthem well, and serve with a bowl of chocolate sauce or frosting so each spoonful can be dipped. Let me know if that works, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      Thanks for both suggestions. I suppose anything distasteful with butter, sugar, and chocolate sauce might be improved.

      Delete
  2. Children make holidays. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      It has been two days and I still smile and chuckle aloud and inwardly at the dirt plopped on the table. His innocent little face and pure motives were captivating.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very nice dinner. I've never had a turnip LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Neither have I except for a taste as a teen. Dinner was very nice.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a great Thanksgiving! I am one of the odd people who prefer most of my veggies uncooked. I love turnips but will only eat them raw - cut up like you would on a veggie plate. Nice and crisp and tasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC,
      I like many vegetables uncooked. I will try a few sticks of uncooked turnip. Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  5. A lovely story!
    About the turnips - cut them horizontally into 1/2 inch strips. put them on a nonstick baking sheet (or onto foil). Drizzle them with a little olive oil and salt/pepper to taste. Bake at 450 x 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until softened but not soggy. I like to do them with carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I will try your idea too. I am going to get a card and write down all these idea, try them all on exbf, too. I think the ones I had were chopped and boiled.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your Thanksgiving was a good one. I am envious of your beautiful weather. We had a great Thanksgiving with all my kids and two of my grandkids. One grandson was having dinner with his mom. All the food turned out well. I even did the dressing in the slow cooker. Turned out well. Oh, and Ur-spo is right! I roast my veggies in a bit of olive oil. They taste like candy. I always do yams, onions, mushrooms, turnips and squash on a baking sheet. I do them at 400ยบ for 40 minutes, turning half way through. I eat the leftovers for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tana50,

    Your Thanksgiving sounded like a good one, too.
    The weather is not always so gloriously beautiful. Sometimes it is cold, or gloomy or hard rain. Occasionally, there can be a bit of frozen precipitation on the road, making late driving hazardous...not often, though.

    I wondered about dressing in the crockpot. I could have put the dressing in after the hen without washing the crock pot.

    About the vegetables--are you saying you put multiple vegetable on the baking sheet at one time? They do sound delicious. I am not sure about the turnips yet.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.