Contact Me

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Change of Cooking Plans

The plan was to cook one of the hens either Thursday or later. Then, I realized I had to put the third hen in the refrigerator and it was thawing. So, about 8 am I put it in the crock pot which I had to wash first.

It is hard to wash dishes and do anything and keep index finger away from dish water and away from food. However, I am soaking it in salt water, and it seems to be getting better. I really don't want to get potato dirt on the finger. It has enough to deal with without dirt from who-knows-where.

It is 9:30 pm and hen is done and needs meat removed from bones. Cranberry sauce is cooked. That leaves the two types of potatoes to bake tomorrow.

I delivered ten of the twenty Christmas boxes this morning. Now, I have another eight to do, ten if I have enough stuff for the boxes.

This afternoon, after delivering the boxes. I bought items to fix the hose. I cannot give it up. It will be cheaper to fix it. Besides I need two hoses. I got a splitter since I will need water for chickens and "garden," such as it is.

The bank visit was a trial. That will be a story for another day. WM was the last visit. My heart sunk when I saw the front passenger-side tire. Exbf had told me to watch it and have the air checked because it looked a bit low. Today, it had 23 lbs. instead of 32 lbs. So, the guy aired it up for me. I drove to my tire guy and his employee could find nothing wrong. Well, the tire felt wonky about a mile from his place, but I thought it was my imagination and paranoia making the car wobble.

I forgot where I went, but when I looked at the tire, my heart sunk. It is sitting in the driveway with the rim sitting on the tire. I have a spare but cannot put it on and know no one else who will and can. Well, I know people who can, but they work and it is a holiday coming up. I never have car trouble unless it is a holiday or the day before when I try to find help. I am right on track.

I am freezing. My very nice neighbor will not help me get heater in covered. He was only willing to stack things six feet high right next to it on three sides. That is how my friend died--stack of newspapers fell on his space heater. When I told him the bottom was going to be unsteady and the heavy boxes would be on top, he said, "How about I put the heavy boxes on the bottom?" Nope, never mind.

He said he did not have time to do it the way that would be safe. Yet he had another 45 minutes to stand and talk and tell me how to live my life.

This will really screw up my Thanksgiving if things play out the way they are heading. I sure hope the tire place is open, that they can at least have someone put on my spare. Keep your fingers crossed!  This is going to be expensive, something I am not prepared to handle. sigh

My finger still hurts, but the green area is smaller. Yes, it is green right up next to the cuticle. Sorry for the parting image.

I think I will take a nap.

Do you ever have something happen every holiday or certain occasion? My mother was ill every holiday or time we went to visit, just to visit. She finally figured out that the ammonia was giving her pneumonia-like problems. So, she just stayed in bed hacking while we were there.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Linda, and wish I lived close. I'd get my soninlaw and grandsons to help you our. I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner but just for a small group- 4 of us. Daughter in town and family are going to a cabin in the woods with daughter's inlaws. I hope your holiday 'turns out' great for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      That would be nice! A small thanksgiving will still be nice.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for your troubles. Do your kids live very far away? How about J? Can't she cahnge a tire and cover the heater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are 1000 miles away. J might be able to, but she has no phone.

      Delete
  3. Have you reached out to any churches? You might want to ask about their outreach ministry for help.

    Do you still have chickens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chickens for the time being. I only had one left and thought she needed friends. Besides, I had forgotten to fee or water her too many times, so I felt she needed a better home. I got a lot of flak from here for getting rid of something I should have kept since I took on the responsibility. There was a lot of silly judgment when I was doing what was best for her. I miss her. However, MamaHen took her and she is really happy with all the other chickens. I was afraid she would get pecked lots. She gives it back and they leave her alone. So, that makes me feel better to know she is not abused every day.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you aren't feeling well and your car and heat troubles. I agree with Dime - is there a church group that helps with things like that? That's too bad the tire store didn't catch the leak while you were there! Do you have roadside assistance with your auto insurance or AAA? I know tire stores will come to you to fix, but I'm sure it's costly :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Churches have their own agenda. Sure, they might take the problem back to the church and maybe come out here the end of next week! That was a new screw in the tire. Even I could see that. My insurance cancelled the road side service because I used it five times in three years. I would not have AAA, too expensive and not worth what you get. $30 was not bad at all.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.