Contact Me

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Tragedy

At the monthly lunch today, I was hit in the pit of the stomach by news of people in town. They lived near us. Our daughters played together.

It seems the young woman, same age as my younger daughter, was leaving her sister's house with children already in the car. As she stood outside, her ex-boyfriend drove up and she went out to talk with him. They had dated for four months and she broke up with him a week before.  They talked, were not loud or argumentative. As she turned to walk back to her sister, he shot her in the back of the head from close range. Then, he drove one block, parked, and shot himself. Now, this information does not jive with the newspaper account. However, a close relative told me this account.

My younger daughter, third child, played with this girl when they were little. They were in the same grade.

The father of the girl killed sat next to me. It was awkward, to say the least. This is the kind of thing a mother's heart worries about when daughters are older. From what everyone knew of this guy, he was okay and seemingly incapable of this horrific act. So, two children are motherless. Four children, hers and her sister's two children are traumatized.

HERE is the local paper's report. It was also reported in Nashville and Atlanta news, among others.

At the lunch the men of the church grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for the Fourth. I ate two hot dogs, slaw, lettuce leaf and huge slice of tomato. I picked up the lettuce leaf with the tomato on it and just bit from it. This was not a bit messy, something I anticipated. Toward the end of the tomato and lettuce, it was sort of folded. Delicious food. I ate too much watermelon and had a slice of chocolate, un-iced bundt cake with chocolate chips in it.

I am going to the funeral. My friend who is a relative of the girl said we would have a meal afterwards at the church, furnished by the church. We do that in the South, but it's usually potluck.

While I was looking for the obituary, I discovered a long-time friend's husband died. Well, I knew his sisters and son well, too. I have seen his wife three or four times and just said "hello" as we passed in WM.  He was four years older than I. Both of these people died too young.













16 comments:

  1. Sadly that tragedy is not uncommon. And the reverberations for the surviving family members will never die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      With the emotions I am feeling right now, I cannot imagine what the family feels. Hopefully, I will never know this anguish. Yes, they will live with it forever. So sad.

      Delete
  2. Truly heartbreaking, and no one knows what pain and anguish people are hiding from. I hope the children get support and help so they can recover somewhat, though never will be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing the family, I am quite sure the children will get the professional help and family support for the best possible outcome.

      Delete
  3. I heard about this on the news. So tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I heard it vaguely about the shooting in back of head on national news, but never heard a name, which I would not have recognized. And, heard no reference to this town or the family. It jolted me when my friend was recounting the story, and I realized I had heard about it. Yes, tragic.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry. What gets into people? I mean what is the use. So stupid and wrong.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out,
      I certainly don't understand people like this.

      Delete
  5. That is just awful! I always wonder if drugs/alcohol were involved- I mean how can you shoot someone you loved because or once loved of a break-up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      We are rational. Killing most people makes no sense to me.

      Delete
    2. These killings have nothing to do with love, the relationship had nothing to do with love. It's all about control and when he didnt have control any more, he shot her

      Delete
    3. During a relationship, a woman is in the most danger the moment she leaves or announce she is leaving.

      Delete
  6. I notice it was reported as a "shooting incident". It should have been reported as a domestic violence shooting by a cowardly, controlling. entitled individual. The reports of these things always give protection to the perpetrator and I wish they didnt

    ReplyDelete
  7. kylie,
    Well, at the end of the year, a police dept can report a drop in domestic violence if they are having a campaign to fight domestic violence. Unfortunately, justice is often left at the door.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.