Contact Me

Friday, April 28, 2017

Car Wastebasket

I know people wonder why I report an egg from my hen. She is amazing how she turns out an egg each day for about ten days to two weeks before she skips a day. Plus, I want and need this egg for my food!

Today, I actually feel a smidgen better. I have been coughing a little which I take as a good sign. Plus, ear quit hurting.

And, I am not so exhausted. Last night, I was able to sleep well and long for the first time in weeks. And, I did not need a nap all day which just happens when I only sleep for two hours. If I manage to power through and not take a nap, my body seems to have not gotten the restoring sleep it needs. Everything seems to be worse--earache, headache, sore throat, lungs--without enough sleep.

I don't litter, so the floor of my car can get junky and often more than just junky. However, it seems I may have found a pricey solution.

This was on the Internet, not Pinterest or a blog. It was instructions for a wastebasket for the car. I bought a container from Walmart that is in the housewares and meant for cereal. The top has a lid that is over half of the area of the top of the container.

The cereal container is opaque and made in USA, has ugly turquoise lid and cost a little over $7. There may be something better out there. Let me know.

The make it into a lined trash container--take off the lid and put a plastic bag from WM inside it with the top edge folded over to the outside. Put the lid back on. Now, you can lift the pouring lid to put trash into the wastebasket. When it is full or you want to dispose of the trash, just take off the whole lid and pull out the plastic bag of trash.

I am going to get some 3/4 inch elastic and make a tight loop to hold it top to bottom with a handle on top in order to grab it. I won't have to cut the elastic and can just use a needle and thread for this fix. The should help grasping it. It has not popped open yet, but it will be secure with the loop over the lid.

The price is a little steep for this container, but it is difficult to get things from the floor, so this works for me. Maybe Dollar General or Dollar Tree has a cheaper container, but there is no electric cart. A wastebasket made specially for the car is available, costs more and seems not to be as suitable as this one.

In my last car, there were knobs on which to hang a plastic WM bag. There is no place in this car on which to hang anything!

My only problem with this is it is hard for me to pick it up because it is slick. Plus, it hurts my right hand. That is why I am adding the elastic not called for in the internet suggestion.

And, Dominique gave me an egg today. I always thank her.

Your turn
Do you have a "wastebasket" in your car? What kind? Do you litter like some of my friends do so the car will look nice inside?

13 comments:

  1. Don't have a wastebasket in the car. We use an empty space, about 2 cup size, in the center console and empty it each time we use it. Isn't it really annoying that aren't any knobs to use to hang a plastic bag? We'd always used that before - probably knobs were eliminated to protect us from injuries in a crash - can't sue the auto maker that way. Don't know much about chickens but don't they need a certain amount of daylight to lay eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to the car to retrieve something and looked at the console. There is the box with the top, but I keep things in there. Then, there is the area that sort of goes under the dash. Nothing. This car has only one cup holder, so not even a place to drop bits into a spare cup. Actually, there are two cup holders in the glove box, but really unusable for cups since exbf slammed the door about ten times on the car manual and broke off the door to the glovebox. Yes, I was watching and screaming for him to stop. Thankfully, the door to the glovebox can be shut, somehow, so it is not a gaping hole. Otherwise, he would be paying to fix it.

      No natural recess for trash.

      People quote different amounts of light hens need to lay-anywhere from 12 to 16 hours. But, I suppose it depends on the hen.

      Light is the key. Of course, good nutrition is important. Warmth is not a factor.

      Delete
  2. Linda, not the most elegant solution but I hang a plastic bag over the passenger headrest pointing to the back seat. This seems to be the best angle for me. But my car seems to accumulate junk anyway. I take advantage of the trash can at the gas station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      I cannot reach back there. Besides, the grocery bag will not fit to go over the headrest. I do try to take trash out at the gas station.

      Delete
  3. I just got my car washed yesterday and picked up another "garbage" bag that they so graciously offer for "free." It goes in my driver's side door in what I guess one would call a map holder, if we used maps any more. I dump the bag each time I get the car washed and pick up another. However, the last time, hubby took my car to carwash and neglected to get the replacement bag. It's made for an unhappy time with nowhere to put small bits of trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dkzody,
      That space is my umbrella holder...lol. I never take my car to the car wash and have never seen these bags. My problem is that often there are large pieces of trash that would overfill my umbrella holder. Thanks, I did not know they gave out trash bags at the car wash.

      Delete
  4. Oh, and about that littering comment, you must not live in California. There is a stiff fine for those who litter, that is if they are caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dkzody,
      We have littering laws in Alabama--$500. If you drive country roads, you will see it means nothing.

      Delete
  5. In Washington state, you are required to have a receptacle for trash in your car. We use a grocery bag, and keep it until it fills up. I often forget to remove it. My car is a mess regardless. But, my house is tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Wow! Do they actually check for it when you are stopped for something else? What is the penalty for not having one? I think I would grab my purse and open it to prove I have a receptacle for trash.

      Delete
  6. A Command hook and a plastic bag work for me. It can be put where you can reach it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I bought the command hook and then another. The whole surface of my dash has not one flat place. I need this to be where I can reach it, so it cannot be on the passenger door, the only flat place I could find. And, it cannot be over the radio and controls in the car. It was a wonderful and cheap idea I had. I am glad it works for you. No knobs and no flat places. And, now this trash bag is in a passenger's way. Sorry, passenger. It is not like people are in the car more than 15 minutes. Thanks for the idea...lol.

      Delete
  7. I am in constant surveillance to keep the car from becoming a litter bin. It never stops.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.