Contact Me

Monday, April 27, 2015

Why Did the Chickens Cross the Road?

I did not ask them, but I caught them crossing the road. When I left to go tutor I was late  because the mother called me and made me late leaving. The chickens were just at the point they could step with one step to the side neighbor's yard. I stopped at the mailbox to shoo them back. Of course, I should know better because Maggie May ran up to my car in the road. I threw sticks to encourage them to try to escape me and go nearer to the house.

An hour later, I came down the street and there were two pretty hens in the middle of the road. They ran across the street to another neighbor's yard. I parked and gave them a shrill "Dee Lie Lah! It only took once. They ran to the road and stopped, stepping off and walking.

I stood in the yard with open mouth as they looked both ways continually. I am amazed that they seemed to know to watch for traffic. This makes me wonder how often they cross the road unbeknownst to me.

Still, I don't know why they crossed the road unless it was to find a new flower garden to scratch and peck, probably destroying it in the process.

Your turn
I know this is a long shot, but have your chickens ever crossed the road and watched, looking both directions  for traffic?

4 comments:

  1. Nope. Some of the last chickens I had found ways to get out of the fence, ran like mad right to the road and stood in the middle of it until a car ran over them. I have no idea what was going on in their little chicken brains, but it had nothing to do with survival. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      Well, that is just awful! Maybe they could not make up their minds. I would be devastated to lose one to a car. But, if they keep going across the road, their chances of survival are slim. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I had a rooster I loved, and he followed me everywhere, then wandered into our RARELY used road and *splat*. And he could have been easily avoided since the road was mostly vacant of traffic. I sure wouldn't want them to get hurt or killed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lotta joy,
    That is what I fear, someone deliberately hitting them. This is a quiet neighborhood with plenty of room to miss any animal. I think I let them out too early and they had gotten all the bugs here. Right, we know I am out of bugs. Sorry about your rooster.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.