Contact Me

Friday, July 8, 2011

Finding money in Coinstar and elsewhere

coinsstickycoinstar
found money

I had looked at the Coinstar machines before, looking for the rejected coins. I think I had found a penny. Okay, it is a penny and was not rejected. After reading Donna Freedman's post about her Coinstar find, I decided to try again. In case you don't know about this, Coinstar machines count coins and charged 9% for their trouble.

Earlier in the week--nothing; tonight--tada. I think there was 87 97 cents of the stickiest coins I ever felt! But, like a good soldier, I ignored the urge to gag and let them be, pried them from the little cup, and held them in my hand until I got a produce bag and dropped them in. Actually, they were so sticky, they would not drop from my hand. Yes, I used a plastic bag! Then, I swung back to the cart wipes to clean up and remove any germs.

This week I found a dime on the ground.

In change, I found a 1947 nickel in fine condition, but cannot find it now. It is still worth a nickel, but there is always the future.

If I found 97 cents $1.07 (counted wrong) every week for a year, that would be $50.44 $52.04 cents more in pocket. I don't find that much each week.

Your turn
Have you ever found money in the Coinstar machine? Do you find change and pick it up? Is it put in a special place for a special purpose?

7 comments:

  1. wow, love it!! I found a quarter one day last week, a penny another and two pennies yesterday...if I keep this up, I'll be rich! ;) And yes, unless there are serious gag reflex issues over the location, I always pick up coins. Haven't found any in a coinstar yet, but thanks to this post, I have renewed hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way I felt about Donna Freedman's blog post! Once I counted the coins, clean and unstuck, there was actually 87 cents...richer still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never looked, but I think I will definitely start doing so now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have been picking up change for years. We keep track of how much we find each year. Our best year was about $64.00. One hot spot for change is do it yourself car washes. People throw change on the ground or get change out for the machine and forget to take it with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon, I keep saying I will tack my finds, but never seem to get it done properly or for very long. Now, I may cruise the car washes...lol. Thanks for the comment and a good suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.