Contact Me

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pumpkin Bread Recipe (or with sweet potatoes)

Okay, NO chicken talk. By the way, they are asleep just feet from me, covered in their hamster cage, and I hear no raccoons.

I love to bake this bread and eat it hot. Actually, I love to bake. I am too frugal and domestic to buy cooked baked goods. No, I am not a domestic goddess...just love domestic arts and skills.

This pumpkin bread recipe is very popular with my friends. I tried it using sweet potatoes I had baked, and it's much better...more delicious, heavier, more tasty.

Pumpkin Bread                                                      350 degrees--1 1/2 hours

3 cups sugar
1 cup salad oil (I use canola)
4 eggs, beaten
1 can, 16 oz., pumpkin
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp soda
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2/3 cup water

Cream sugar and oil. Add eggs and pumpkin. Mix well. Sift together dry ingredients; add dry ingredients alternately with water. Pour into two well greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pans. Bake.. Let stand ten minutes. Remove from pan to cool. Makes two loaves.

My thoughts: Actually, depending on the size of the pan, it can make two or three. Making three loaves gives you more gifts for others. This freezes well.

Use mashed, baked sweet potatoes instead.

My notes: I always grease, flour AND put waxed paper in the pan before baking. That way there never is a stuck loaf! Just put the waxed paper on the counter under the pan. Trace around the pan with a knife point. Cut the paper from the impression of the knife. Easy peasy.

 I doubt I let the pans stand for ten minutes to cool! Turn the loaf out onto a dishcloth on your hand. Remove waxed paper and place the loaf on the counter or plate to cool.

Pumpkin does not come in that size can anymore, I don't think. I just use the size on the shelf! It turns out just fine. You could even put some sweet potato in to make up the difference.

Did you bake this? Did you like it? More recipes to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.